[OSList] Renewing the Mission of the Open Space Institute U.S.

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Jul 19 12:07:26 PDT 2016

Wow - thanks Birgitt. I very much enjoyed your perspective and resonate
with it.

I love trainings (as long as they're very little lecture and lots of
experience, movement, creation and experiments... and play). I love the
work of Sharon Bowman, "Training from the Back of the Room". It's almost
required reading for moving up in the Scrum Alliance's trainer
certification track. (Ack - did I say certification???!)

Some questions:

Is it wrong to take and enjoy an Open Space Training?
Do the trainers and the trainees deserve censure for taking and
enjoying, sometimes multiple times, such trainings?
Is training a less than helpful word? Does it invoke Pavlovian
punishment/reward processes, and sitting obediently around the guru/teacher?

A little bit about "question storming" that I learned from the book by
Warren Berger "A More Beautiful Question
<http://amorebeautifulquestion.com/>". It can be useful to build more
questions by taking yes/no ones like the ones above, and opening them.
And it can be useful to do the reverse too! Turning open questions into
yes/no ones.

How can taking and enjoying trainings for Open Space be a good thing,
and how can it be detrimental?

How do both offering and taking trainings for Open Space Techonology
close space? How could it open it?

What other words invoke a more "Open Space" purpose and intent than
"training"?

How can the use of the word "Trainings" for Open Space actually be a
benefit?

     Cheers,
     Harold

On 7/19/16 11:59 AM, Birgitt Williams via OSList wrote:
> I just wanted to add a little to Harrison's point about 'unlearning'.
> In something we refer to as 'training' which is a misnomer unto
> itself, we have
> -unlearning
> -getting in touch with the mythology, story, and ritual that we are,
> in other words getting into genuine contact with ourselves
> -getting in even deeper genuine contact with ourselves until we can
> access the memories carried in our bones, in our cells, and in our
> hearts and souls of what is good, true and beautiful in us all and in
> our connections
> -this leads to genuine contact with another, with the collective and
> with Creator/Creation
>
> Does it take 2 days? Does it take a lifetime? 2 days is a starting
> point....personally I prefer to offer a 4 day learning journey...not
> just about facilitation and the essence of OST....the form is after
> all quite simple....I like to include how to work with OST within a
> fixed system so that the outcomes from an OST meeting have their best
> chance to shift into action and positive results.
>
> I took Harrison's OST training 4 day training 7 times...learning more
> each time. I have offered countless OST trainings and learn more each
> time. Maybe it is a quirk of mine...I totally enjoyed three years
> deeply immersed in studying the circle...and these days I am enjoying
> learning the nuances of the breath as metaphor. Great joy!
>
> Blessings all around,
> Birgitt
>
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 8:08 AM Harrison Owen via OSList
> <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
> <mailto:oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>> wrote:
>
>     Paul – Good to see you! And I was struck with your question… “How
>     can it possibly take 2 days to "teach"
>
>     OST and why would anyone ever want to teach it anyway ?” In my
>     experience it certainly does not take 2 days to “teach” Open
>     Space. BUT it does seem to take two days to get even a minimal
>     start on un-learning all the stuff we thought we knew about
>     working together – All the stuff that clogs up our space so that
>     working becomes difficult and sometimes impossible.
>
>     Harrison

Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>