[OSList] Questioning Questioning

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Jan 7 17:09:46 PST 2016

Greetings to All Who Inquire (the "AWI people"....)

Questioning questioning is meta-questioning or "questioning qua
questioning." The linguistic dimension of the interrogative tense in
English is interesting to me.

SVO-P is a syntax. The SVO-p syntax (subject-verb-object, present tense)
has no interrogative form. So-called "questions" are best phased
starting with "I wonder," for example, "I wonder if anyone cares at all
about SVO-p."

SVO-p is consistent with trend following (also known as "wave riding.")

Forming expressions in SVO-p helps the listener to quickly identify who
is acting, what the action is, and upon what. SVO-p keeps thoughts in
the now and may help clarify your thinking.

The past is often a convenient dumping ground for blame; the future is
often a convenient place to deposit promises.

Present-tense expressions (in general) and SVO-p (in particular) both
tend to make indirect communication in English very difficult.

The statement:
"My people will call your people, and we'll do lunch."

In SVO-p, it reads like this:
"My people plan to call your people about lunch."

The question:
"Does anyone have a question?"

In SVO-p, it reads like this:
"I wonder if anyone has a question."

Some languages are "tenseless" .....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenseless_language

There is controversy about how the Hopi language handles time: some say
it is a tenseless language:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopi_time_controversy

I hope you give SVO-p a try. You might want to walk around your town,
and talk to people in SVO-p. The results are interesting.

The results may surprise you.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

On 1/7/16 11:48 AM, Harold Shinsato via OSList wrote:
> Hey Bhav!
>
> It sounds like you've started an interesting inquiry around inquiry
> itself. I'd like to open space for your answers as well as the other
> best "sit" the question.
>
> Here's Bhav's question in brief: Do western style questions work in
> every culture as an approach?
>
> I'll open it a bit more: What culture assumptions do we bring to our
> requests, inquests, inquiry, 'quest'ions, that might help or hinder
> the authentic opening of space?
>
>     Harold
>
> P.S. Of course I remember you Bhav. I remembered you before I met you
> - as your influence preceded your presence at least in my
> time-space-continuum. Thanks for reentering it here on the OSList.
>
> On 1/7/16 4:14 AM, Bhavesh Patel wrote:
>> Hey Harold and World,
>>
>> Merry Orthodox Christmas from Moldova where it has been snowing all
>> day!!!
>>
>> Your question triggered a different kind of questionING in me.
>> Personally I find questions/inquiry and Rilke's 'Live the questions
>> now' approach very useful.
>>
>> *However my increasing sensitivity to culture makes me wonder whether
>> this approach works for everybody, or whether it is a cultural thing,
>> fitting more an inquiring Western culture? Sometimes do we
>> overemphasise this approach, use it in a kind of universal way?*
>>
>> I have my own answers/experiences to the above questions but of
>> course won't share them because you asked for questions!
>>

>> Smiles Bhav...
>>
>> p.s. Harold, we met at the WOSonOS in London and talked a bit about
>> complexity and Cynefin...
>>

> --
> Harold Shinsato
> harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>