[OSList] What is the sweet spot for Online OS using video chat?

Lucas Cioffi via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Aug 31 21:38:52 PDT 2016

Hi Birgitt, thank you for the useful questions.  Using one's own story as
an invitation is a great idea, and there's a project that I can apply it
to.  Also, the idea of a group of people taking turns "occupying" an online
space for hours/days that you mention is pretty awesome.  Maybe there's an
application of this idea in the "online house prototype" mentioned below.

Brian Burt, I do look forward to seeing the upcoming innovations with
MaestroConference that you mention.  It's already a ground-breaking
platform.

Michael Herman, I love the zoom in/out idea.  Thanks for all the detailed
thinking and mentioning how online spaces are just another form of space.
When we ran the Video Open Space on Open Space last year, it was a
revelation to me that when everyone is on video, they are
connecting/sharing their own private spaces (ie kitchen tables).

Ben Roberts, I look forward to seeing your next innovation/experiment.  I
especially liked participating in the online gift economy last year.

For whomever is interested, based on this OSList thread, I made some
changes this evening to QiqoChat video events.  My goal is to create a more
minimalist version that could be used for OST.  A Qiqo live event consists
of a breakout space with a notetaking space plus a button to connect
through Zoom video.  Also, you can see how many people are in each of the
other spaces so you know when to use your two feet.

As Ben mentioned about tools in general, no tool is sufficient on its own;
skilled facilitation is the key ingredient in hosting a successful event.
Tonight's iteration is still rough, but it has a playful feel.  I named the
spaces in this virtual house (kitchen, garden, sun room, pool, etc) and a
background photo for each.

*When people go to this demo online OST, they arrive on the "Front Porch".
A screenshot is attached.*  That's where the opening circle would happen
and where the marketplace wall would be posted.  Then participants can go
into all the other rooms for their breakouts.

*For the curious folks out there, *here's the link to test
<https://qiqochat.com/breakout/0/tddbQjxXRaQZEUDQoTCORGONq>.  If you don't
have an account and you don't want to create an account, you can sign in
with "test at test.com" and a password of "test".

*I must give credit to Suzanne Daigle for this idea of hosting inside a
house.*  She mentioned this idea in her email post two days ago and for
over a year, she had been suggesting that I should create something that
feels like a house online.  So tonight I said "What the heck?" and gave her
idea a try.  This is a very neat idea, and I think it opens up a whole
bunch of possibilities for replicating physical spaces online.  Michael
Herman has also been innovating in this way with Sococo and generously
sharing his thoughts here on OSList.

If anyone has any suggestions/questions, please add your reply here.  I
welcome additional feedback; this is innovation in the open, and anyone
working on a tech experiment/platform will benefit from this discussion.

Lucas Cioffi
Charlottesville, VA
Mobile: 917-528-1831

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Birgitt Williams via OSList <

>>> www.journalismthatmatters.net

>>> www.openspaceworld.com