[OSList] What is the sweet spot for Online OS using video chat?

Lucas Cioffi via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Aug 29 19:57:44 PDT 2016

Hello Birgitt,

I appreciate your thoughtful questions.  I want to do more listening than
talking in this conversation, because I'm hoping to learn what minimalist
tool people on this list would like to use.  The 2012 discussion/brainstorm
about online OS (mentioned yesterday) described a complex and powerful
vision for an online OS tool.

There's definitely a time and place for a complex/powerful tool like that,
but I'd like to discover what minimalist approach could actually work well
and still be called OS.  A minimalist version of online OS could do some
good in the world.

Here are my replies to your questions:
1. "What is your definition of useful and to whom? I appreciate that this
is at the root of your creative surge."
I'd like to build something that people wake up in the morning and are
excited to use.  I see a hint of that with QiqoChat as it reaches 2000
users, but I think much more is possible, so that's why I'm going back to
the expertise on OSList to hear what itches aren't scratched yet :)

2. "In a world in which artificial intelligence and its use of big data is
already mastering predictability, and since it is possible for artificial
intelligence to predict what you might answer and how you might answer,
where is the space for human exchange that you want to touch and bring
usefulness to?"
I'm looking to build tools that people want to use.  For me, it comes down
to listening to what people (like the folks on this list) want.

3. "Albeit a current trend (and apparent addiction) is for something that
is quick and will capture attention or stands the risk of losing attention,
might not the most useful offering to provide to be something that takes
time, that is not quick, that provides space for people who are reflective,
thoughtful to be in genuine conversations?"
I've learned from the Tuesday OS Hotline that video chat makes genuine
conversations and relationships possible.

4. "And a question we ask in our Working With OST learning modules: after
examining all of the elements of an OST meeting, what, if stripped away
from the list of elements, for you, would no longer qualify as an OST
meeting?"
It's a great question for someone else with a deeper perspective on OS.
I'm not the keeper of the flame; I just build a match or two :)

Lucas Cioffi
Founder, QiqoChat
Charlottesville, VA
Mobile: 917-528-1831