[OSList] What is the sweet spot for Online OS using video chat?

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Aug 28 11:26:14 PDT 2016

sococo.com is interesting because it offers a map of a physical space.
 it's possible to name spaces with things like "back in 10 mins" and allow
people to signal their movement to all without saying anything on audio or
video.  it's common to have work carrels, kitchen, lounge, lobby,
conference rooms, offices and other sorts of spaces on sococo maps.  it's
kind of amazing how the label of the room can signal to anyone showing up
there the purpose and style of interacting.  they are coming out with a way
to embed any url (video, whiteboard, or anything else you can load in a
browser window) on the walls of any of the 'rooms' on the map.   they're
making maps scale to other floors (buildings) and other buildings
(campuses), to mirror the physical layout of many corporate spaces.  i've
suggested they could go the other way and allow folks the same embedded
'wall' space inside of their avatars, so that people could suspend their
mental models for exploration -- and also to make a connection between
physical and mind space.  some of us have been talking about using
sococo.com to extend the osonos meeting space in manila this november.  i
find that very simple sketches, like these sococo maps, leverage some inner
software we have to communicate and enable much more than their simple
appearances would suggest.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://MichaelHerman.com
http://OpenSpaceWorld.org

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Birgitt Williams via OSList <