[OSList] Accessibility concerns about bending down to pick up paper/pens

Birgitt Williams via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Aug 19 07:38:14 PDT 2016

Hi all,
I am choosing to answer a question that was not asked. The question is
'what is needed in our OST meetings to ensure that people who have
disabilities of any sort can feel welcomed and included?'. Having worked
with people with lots of different abilities and what are commonly referred
to as disabilities...both obvious and invisible, there are some things our
clients have recommended. Some of them are basic good manners of welcome as
we would include in our homes.

1. For visually impaired, do not have markers/pens rolling around on the
floor either in the middle or at the agenda wall...use some sort of
container and explain to people why. For the blind, having a partner to
assist throughout the process is helpful....it is amazing how much of an
OST meeting depends on being able to see. For the deaf, arrange for people
to sign...not just in the main room but in the breakout space....and if
signing is no longer the best option with our advanced technology, do
something that is current and helpful.
2. For seniors and those taking medications who have difficulty seeing a
typical printed report...have reports on flip chart paper with big print OR
if printed on a computer, use 18 point or greater font...and double space.
3. For the 10% of the population who gets headaches and other symptoms from
scents/chemicals, use unscented markers/pens and in the invitation ask
people to refrain from wearing any products with fragrances. Check the
venue including restrooms/toilet areas to ensure no air fresheners are in
use. If the venue uses pesticides, arrange with them ahead of time to
refrain from spraying on day of meeting.
4.For those with joints that don't bend so well, provide some kind of
tables with markers/pens....maybe at the side...so that they can maintain
as much independence as possible in getting the topics up.
5. For those who have various allergies/intolerances/cultural needs with
food, take care with beverages and food so that people are not being left
out by the limited usually carbohydrate choices.

I am not sure if I have remembered everything and would appreciate anything
you all have figured out to add. While I respect that we create the
conditions for self managing, a more equal playing field from the start
that is welcoming to all is kind...and we can do with a little more
kindness in this world.

Blessings all,
Birgitt

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 10:11 AM Michael M Pannwitz via OSList <