[OSList] An invitation for future invitations to WOSONOS

Pernilla Luttropp via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Oct 13 11:49:45 PDT 2015

Hi all!
Thanks all for your input, stories and further thinking out of my invitation
for future invitations. It¹s a rich conversation, it brings clarity and some
new questions to me.

To me it seems like naming The one and only (W)osonos might not be that
important anymore, or at least not for a while. The possibility of having a
multitude of gatherings all over the world and at different times seem to
open up for more space, breathing and fun (and brings us back to core
practice, as some of you pointed out).

If that is the case (the future will tell) there would maybe be a few less
things to do:
- The invitation doesn¹t have to come from a well prepared team or from an
area with an Open space community (whatever that is). It could be a single
person who wants to open up their place and welcome others to join.
- No Œvoting¹ at the end or the ceremony when the stick is handed over to
the Selected Team. Instead we could find out ways to celebrate the multitude
and richness of invitations, maybe to the tunes of ³the more the merrier² or
³we can¹t get enough of complexity².

What stands out for me is Michael¹s question on Who is osonos really for? Is
it a gathering for people who are more or less familiar to Open Space? A
place where we pass on knowledge and experiences, even traditions? Were we
take the liberty to be somewhat exclusive and excluding for a while? I
certainly have a need for those kind of meetings every now and then.

I reckon the ambition with most (w)osonoses is to be open for newcomers as
well. So how do we keep it new without burdening it with Œtraditions¹? An
event where the we try to avoid saying ³we usually doŠ². An event where the
newcomers have the same opportunity to co-create the event as the
Œold-timers¹. An event that is opening up for something new to happen that
no one knew about before? Like Paul pointed out in a Hotline call ­ why do
we put numbers on the (w)ononos¹es at all, isn¹t every event no 1?

How do we make Open Space instead of doing it?

And thanks Jan, for the link to ŒHow to make a decision without making a
decision¹. I my view the only tool I have for this, as a facilitator and
participant within an Open Space, is time - lots of time.  I usually only
get one day for an Open Space and if it¹s a tough decision and if the
question doesn¹t seem Œripe¹ enough, I simply don¹t invite for that process.
I find it too painful.
And that reminds me of what Chris said; this ³teaches us a lot about our
personal orientation to the practice of holding space. Also, it provides us
with many opportunities to examine, reflect and develop the personal
practice of opening space.²

The show goes on!

Pernilla