[OSList] An invitation for future invitations to WOSONOS

Lisa Heft - via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Oct 11 10:46:38 PDT 2015

Hello, Barbara - good to hear your voice.

Just sharing what I have heard, regarding one aspect you mention - there have been conversations about a WOSonOS in a few locations in Africa, but those prospective hosts - at least the ones I have talked with - have felt that though we others want it to be there to share about OST, they themselves have not had a community of practice to host it, so they (these different people, from different countries, in the different years I have chatted with them) have preferred to build their community of OST facilitation learners and facilitators first, before hosting. Because when one hosts, the most people who attend are from the immediate region. And also because in these conversations there has usually just been one person in their region, so they did not have the capacity and sometimes not the interest to be an event host, as their energies were more about learning and facilitating things. That’s just the pattern I have seen - some of you others may have been involved in other conversations over the years.

My own question: With your first #2 item below - do you mean have a session about the next WOSonOS live, at the WOSonOS itself? Because that is what Karolina did at this year’s WOSonOS. She posted and hosted a session on a day previous to the Closing Circle day at the conference, and made sure it was timed so I could be there to answer any Access Queen questions anyone might have. Other possible hosts chatted with me before that for their own private questions and conversations. Or maybe you mean something different than hosting a session up at the WOSonOS event itself - and it’s just going into my head in a different way. Thanks for clarifying for me.

And personally, I agree with you - I love keeping the closing circle free for the group’s’ reflection about its WOSonOS conversations and learnings. Plus one more delicious thing: often in a WOSonOS, after Closing Circle ends, there is a really lovely moment when the current host passes the Talking Stick to the next-year’s host (or their representative if they are not physically at that WOSonOS). It is really celebratory, and a nice sense of closure-plus-connection/community across the years. So personally, I like that part, too.

Barbara, I think the communities and organizations in Cyprus are lucky to have you...

Lisa

Lisa Heft, also known as Access Queen