[OSList] An invitation for future invitations to WOSONOS

Lisa Heft - via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Oct 1 12:07:30 PDT 2015

Hi, folks - Michael, I can answer these bits, for those of you who may be interested in what happened in Krakow:

> i don't know how many invitations were offered in krakow this year for 2016.  if there were several, then it certainly was possible for those different inviters to get together and decide for themselves to not have any voting.  they could have decided to host them simultaneously, and pushed all of us to decide for ourselves which of these to attend.  instead, somebody decided to call a vote and a bunch of others agreed, including the inviters.  the vote happened and the losers decided to accept that as the decision.

In conversations year-round and also just before and also at this recent WOSonOS (that I know of, anyway, and I am not the only person people talk to about this, but I invite the conversation all the time so I do get to talk to a lot of people about this year-round) - people from about 7 countries had been considering hosting a future WOSonOS. And in conversation with themselves, their potential teams, with a look at their own event-organizing capacity, or at whether or not they had an existing community of practice of people who know and understand OS in their region - six out of those seven countries decided (on their own, before any group conversation at the WOSonOS) not to invite the WOSonOS for 2016. And some of them plus a few others named in the full conference group that they were interested in inviting in the future but 2016 would not be that time. Several said they would be inviting us to their regional events. People may experience it differently than me, so I will say this through my own filter: there were no losers. There was one team saying they were ready to go, had the support, had the community, were learning ongoing because they also hosts other kinds of OSonOSs, and were totally excited about and feeling ready to host this slightly-different sort of gathering. Yay, the Philippines !

And: It was indeed invited in Krakow for anyone considering inviting and anyone else interested in being part of the conversation to have a session about it earlier in the WOSonOS to chat and reflect about it, with the design for "what if there are more than one inviters / what is the design for decision-making” very graciously held, in my opinion, by the WOSonOS Poland Host Team. And then this small-group discussion opened up into a whole different and new conversation, which I feel the Host Team also held so graciously.

Also yes, thank you for pointing this out, Michael - it is very true that a number of those people (including myself) who think of hosting a WOSonOS in the future - in a good number of countries - have for some years been and will continue to host Open Space gatherings in their regions, inviting the world.  They don’t always call them OSonOS because some find that because the conversations there are about facilitation in general, a different title perhaps better serves. Learning Exchange. Facilitators conference. Those sorts of names.

And I love it - because this inviting, and these diverse regions, to the WOSonOS, to the other-named events, on-line and in-person - share our learning and our community across the world. To me, it is simply that “passion and responsibility” thing we talk about in OS. As someone / someones have the passion to say “come play and learn with us in our part of the world” - and they either do a simple or a more complex bit of preparation - which others perceive of as being difficult or easy. But which I perceive of as being their choice, their style, their passion. Which to me is so beautiful…

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space