[OSList] An invitation for future invitations to WOSONOS

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Oct 1 10:35:16 PDT 2015

i like your question, christine: "who will decide?"  and i want to twist it
around a little bit.  i want to suggest that everyone, all of us, are
already deciding.  and the question is "what are all of us already deciding
and agreeing to?"

in any open space event, what would happen if the facilitator put up a grid
of 50 post-it notes and set chairs in all the breakout spaces, but the
group politely pulled only one sticky per time slot, because they were in
the habit of all meeting together at the same time.  it might work fine,
but we as OS veterans would probably think they'd lost something of the
juice that is possible when the group breaks out into many different work
areas, and everyone is moving around, buzzing back and forth, and so on.
back to osonos now, when harrison got it started, the annual timing was an
arbitrary choice that fit other groups' customs and having only one site
was just the practical thing to do, as there weren't very many of us in
those days and it wasn't easy to connect multiple sites.

so what about "what are we all deciding?" ????

in the beginning, harrison decided to invite a bunch of people to osonos1.
 then some of those folks decided to show up, do the dance, go home, tell
friends... and harrison decided to do it again.  when he said "no more for
me" others of us stepped in and said "i will host next year" and the rest
of us all individually decided if we would attend or not.  sometimes
decisions are made for professional development reasons but also because of
friends or other activities somebody might have in that particular locale.

just like participants in an OS event, where people talk at lunch about
"what are you going to this afternoon?" and might try to convince each
other to go here or there, we sometimes had side conversations between
osonos events... "it's time it goes to europe, no?" and "maybe it should
rotate between continents."  some people decided to offer invitations.
 others decided not to, or asked more experience people to help them host.

along the way, hosts and attendees jointly determined that it was okay to
have additional osonos events and those things happened, because
individuals decided to invite and others decided to attend.  at some point,
in one of those side conversations, somebody decided it was a good idea to
call one event a year "the World osonos" and some others agreed.  in the
same way, for a time there was talk and many seemed to agree that the
wosonos should go to "underserved" areas.  i never cared for this view,
myself, but it's an idea that enough people decided was valid that it did
hold some sway in people deciding to host and attend these gatherings.

what i am aiming at here is that we are, all of us, already deciding
exactly where we will and won't have an(y) and all osonos events.  there is
absolutely no restriction on who can offer an invitation, to where or when
it can be offered.  there is no reason for invitations to be offered only
at the end of a physical osonos event.  there is no reason why haiti or
nordic or other osonos events aren't called wosonos haiti and nordic
wosonos, because of course all of us from all around the world are always
invited to these things.

the reason we have only one "wosonos" each year, continuing to gather about
100+/- people each time, is because nobody decides to offer more than one,
nobody decides to call a second one "wosonos", so nobody can decide to
attend it.  i don't know how many invitations were offered in krakow this
year for 2016.  if there were several, then it certainly was possible for
those different inviters to get together and decide for themselves to not
have any voting.  they could have decided to host them simultaneously, and
pushed all of us to decide for ourselves which of these to attend.
 instead, somebody decided to call a vote and a bunch of others agreed,
including the inviters.  the vote happened and the losers decided to accept
that as the decision.

my invitation to all of us is to give some extra attention to what we are
each deciding about osonos gatherings globally.  have you decided osonos is
not for you so you just stay silent?  or that it's always far away?  have
you decided that you will go because the people there will know a lot more
than you and will teach you?  or that your stories matter so you must go
tell them?  do you have "side" conversations to arrange to meet distant
oslist friends at one of these?  have you decided that the people who show
up to a "wosonos" event are somehow different from those who would show up
a "nosonos" or "osonosinOz?"  perhaps you've decided that conversations
held face-to-face in two seats next to each other are better than two seats
joined by computer cameras?  have you decided that your voice or invitation
doesn't matter in this question?

it's almost as if many of us have decided that it's important to keep
adding one more to the series... osonos7, osonos10, osonos15.  karolina
sent out something about wosonos15 and then corrected herself... it's 2015
and wosonos23.  what if we counted it this way....

osonos 1-4 in dulles, toronto, monterey, chicago, berlin, vancouver,
melbourne, svenmark, goa, halifax, moscow, kiev, san fran... i get a little
fuzzy here... but krakow makes 23... plus at least 8 haitian gatherings? 8
nordics? 2 by the sea.  2 osonosinUS.  one virtual.  i'm going to guess 4
in Oz?  so that makes the one upcoming in melbourne OSonOS49 and manila
OSonOS50.

you can decide to ignore this, or wait and listen to others.  if you reply,
you can decide to call manila wosonos24 or osonos50.  you can decide to
correct my math or delete this whole thread.  maybe you decide that
OSonOSinOZ (whatever the number) sounds jazzier than OSonOS49.  maybe the
location matters more than the count?

maybe we need to talk more about what osonos is really for?  it's almost
like we, a tribe with no hierarchy and titles, collectively succumb to some
inner calling to elect a "president" above all others (in the form of a
single marquis event) each year.  why do we do that and how does it serve
or diminish what we are working to be and practice in the world?  that's
what i'm trying to decide for myself this morning.

and while we're at it... is there not something in this analogous to
oslist, other email lists, various facebook groups, linkedin,
openspaceworld, qiqochat and so on.  does our assumption and agreement on
one gathering or one conversation being more important than a number of
others limit what we and this practice and story can be in the world?  does
letting go risk losing something of the history we've created and the
wisdom of those who've been around for a long time?  in this way, are we
not a microcosm of the tensions playing out in so many places around the
world?

so how many osonos gatherings will there be in the next year or so and how
many can we organize and support and connect at the same moment?  and as
long as i'm here inviting more invitations... would it be helpful to
capture here something about what are the essential core elements of an
osonos, anyway...  invitation, circle, bulletin board, marketplace,
pulsation, storytelling...  book a meeting place, provide some snacks, the
theme is open space... what else is essential or required?  ...or is
everything else just one more thing to not do?

these are some (many?) of the things i think we might discuss together and
decide more actively for ourselves.

michael

--

Michael Herman