[OSList] good questions

christine koehler via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Nov 19 10:49:57 PST 2015

Chris,

> In my experience, “powerful questions” are more about me as the questioner
> than my trust in the group’s ability to find surprising meaning in
> conversation.

Love it ! but after reading your comment twice, I am not sure to understand
what you mean

Do you mean that powerful questions have the ability to build meaning in
conversation, that the questioner may find surprising ? Does it mean that
you can only say afterwards that the question was powerful ?

This makes sense to me, as you never know what impact will have your words.
As many of you I guess, I recall occasions where I people told me "this
particular sentence - then something follows that you forget you said or
that you find completely common,or  truism, - you said had a strong
influence in my life". mmmmmm.  be prepared to be surprised .

I must admit that I speak from a position where I find extremely difficult
to frame (or to help frame) powerful  questions. There are so many
"resistance"  around questions, that sometimes a group will just reject a
formulation during prework and then accept it as something obvious when
preparing the set-up or that sometimes the group doesn't care, no matter
how cumbersome the question is framed, they will anyhow discuss the
important issues.
so I stick to easy criteria : open question (no assumptions) , very short,
can be interpreted in many many different ways, and that may lead to a
quantity of solutions, not a single one.

Would love to hear what other thinks about framing questions

Christine