[OSList] Using OST to facilitate Agile process

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Nov 12 04:34:42 PST 2015

Hello Kim, up to this point the Agile community mostly uses Open Space
to structure PUBLIC conference events, such as the "Agile Coach Camps"
and "Scrum Gathering" and "Scrum Coach Retreat" events.

Inside organizations doing Agile, some people have used Open Space for
Agile retrospectives.

Since about 2013, people have been using Open Space to introduce Agile
inside organizations.

There is a template called OpenSpace Agility which can be used for this
purpose. You can learn more about that here:

http://www.OpenSpaceAgility.com

The basic idea is to start in Open Space, then spend 50 to 100 days
experimenting with Agile practices, and then afterwards, inspect that
experience-- again in Open Space.

"Implement Agile in an Agile way" is the idea. Instead of forcing it.

Here are some testimonial stories on video, from people with actual
experience doing this, inside organizations:
http://openspaceagility.com/testimonial-videos/

You are the 2nd person to show up here and report how you notice how
Agile has "many parallels and connections with Open Space."

The Agile community is working hard to catch up with you. It might
surprise you to learn that the vast majority of Agile adoptions in large
organizations today are actually non-inviting, "push"-style mandates
from well-meaning executives.

These well-meaning executives often are not aware of Open Space, and
apparently do not receive much (if any) teaching about it from Agile
coaches.

As it stands, Open Space is rarely used to implement Agile at the
enterprise level. That is now changing.

OpenSpace Agility is the first and only template for implementing Agile
through the use of Open Space. It is freely available and simple to use.

Most enterprise-level Agile adoptions are troubled in part because they
are forced. OpenSpace Agility is the opposite of that.

I hope you enjoy the links!

Kind Regards,
Daniel

On 11/12/15 6:27 AM, Kim Willing via OSList wrote:
> Hello everyone,  I have recently come across the 'Agile manifesto' and use of 'SCRUM' in software development.  There are many parallels and connections with Open Space and I am wondering if anyone has any experience in using OST within an 'agile' approach?  This may all sound bewildering (I have benefited from googling these terms and am very excited about the potential fit of OST in enabling these processes). I would love to hear any experience that may be out there in this field.  Stories?
> With thanks,
> Kim.
>
> Kim Willing
> Groundswell