[OSList] No silence in opening

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Jun 19 12:32:45 PDT 2015

here's one of my favorite stories about feedback, harold.

some years ago i did one of those 10-day meditation courses (goenka,
vipassana, for those who care) and then helped with hosting another one.
 on my third, as a participant, we had an old indian guy, the #2 teacher in
the world at that time in that practice, sitting in with us, but i thought
the actual course teacher and the overall organization were a little dodgy.

we were just forming the community in the midwest US, working toward
building a center.  the practice was all about equanimity.  i went to this
great teacher, a kind of mountain of gentleness, and asked something like,
"what is more important, my responsibility to point out things that could
help make the community better here or my staying in practice of
equanimity?"

he says, reassuringly, "these gypsy (not in an establish center) courses
are always a bit difficult, not the ideal, always with different
arrangements and challenges, BUT... if 10% of the people get 10% of the
benefit, that will be enough."

for me, it's same with open space.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Harold Shinsato via OSList <