[OSList] Please join me next week for Governance Lab!

Ben Roberts via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Jun 19 15:19:53 PDT 2015

Dear Open Space colleagues [with apologies for cross-posting]:

I'm very excited to be hosting "Governance Lab," an experiment in virtual
Open Space, and I would love to have some of you join me if this engagement
calls to you. My partner in this work, Fyodor Ovchinnikov, posted about it a
few weeks back, so I hope y'all are OK with another promo. Any help in
extending personal invitations would also be most appreciated.

What is Governance Lab?

Governance Lab is a virtual "social lab" or "unconference," from June 25th -
July 2nd, on the theme of social ventures that leverage unconventional types
of leadership, governance, and ownership.

.         Join a global gathering that connects practitioners innovating in
the field with thought leaders and scholars who are bringing awareness of
this work to academia and the wider world.

.         Promote your work, engage in collective inquiry, and request
support for what matters most to you.

*	Participation can take place in many ways, and the scheduling is
highly flexible.

Click here for more information.
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e-aeXOrL3CkENx3HAT4Lb3CHl-f7hIC38xP-wmu
DLLs/edit#heading=h.qhjh3kuakxqi>

Some process notes for the OST crowd to reflect on.

We're billing this as a "social lab"/"unconference," based on an assessment
that our main audience will resonate more with those terms. I'm curious what
the experience of others has been in this regard?

As far as tech, we'll be using MaestroConference and Zoom for live sessions
(both hosted and self-scheduled), plus Slack as our 24/7 "nerve center,"
asynch conversation space, and general hangout zone. Should be very
interesting, especially if we can hit a critical participation mass.

Another unconventional move is to open up the agenda creation process in
advance for a limited number of sessions. Our thinking here is that many
prospects might lack sufficient reference points (both for the virtual
process and the broad subject) for deciding to participate, so having some
concrete sense of some of what will be offered is valuable. We will be
careful not to let the agenda get too full before the opening circle on the
25th, however, which will hopefully keep the space feeling truly "open." If
any of you would like to take advantage of the opportunity to call a session
in advance, please let me know. And I'm also curious about your experiences
with such a practice. I have a feeling it may turn out to be one of the ways
that our beloved process evolves once it leaves its "pure" manifestation in
the in-person realm. ;-)

Regards,

Ben

Ben Roberts