[OSList] Fwd: Fwd: Re: How big is a circle with 300 people?

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Jun 8 14:24:18 PDT 2015

Dear Anna,

forgot to mention the book "Meine open space Praxis, its in German, so
this might be of help to you. In fact, it contains loads of pictures,
several about circles. The one on page 101 shows the set up of
concentric circles for an event with about 350  people in Magdeburg....
the one on the next page the Sevilla event with about 300 imams and rabbies.
The book is available here (also as an ebook where the pictures can be
zoomed etc.)

> https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Meine-open-space-Praxis-E-Book
> https://www.westkreuz-verlag.de/de/Meine-open-space-Praxis

I have attached a pair of pictures showing the circle set up without
people and the same filled with people... the presence of people does
not change the geometry but the atmosphere. And just that is often
commented on: Never saw this room used this way, its inspiring (or other
such adjectives).

Often, rooms are not circular but long rectangulars. Therefore, you cant
have the outer circle circular but almost always the inner circle. The
experiment with 300 attending works well with a diameter of 10 meters
for the inner circle allowing 35 to 50 chairs in the inner circle. One
might get the 2nd circle also to be perfect, and even the third and in
very large rooms all 7 or 13. But often the inner plus one and perhaps
two fill the width of the room. The additionally needed "circles" are
then half circles added to the "perfect" circles in the length of the
room (the whole thing than looks like an oval but with at least one
perfect circle in the middle).

Now, your precise question to the radius of the circle has a number of
variables. I therefore made it a prerequisite to see the room before the
event and actually would arrange a small segment (like  a pizza slice)
using the chairs available to get a specific picture (chairs do vary in
width and depth in such a way that with a crowd of 300 sitting in lets
say 7 concentric circles will get you various radiuses or diameters for
the whole arrangement).

As far as the additional details of the entire set up is concerned I
always insisted that everything is handcrafted (like the  facts of life,
the law, the critters, the admonition, the directional signs, the
bulletin board, the news wall, the overall schedule....) to look not
only unique each time but also signaled: everyone can do this with
simple means everywhere. And all this stuff is best done on the premises
involving the whole team getting into the spirit of the event...

Ok, now I see you on page 95 doing one of your inimitable bumble bees...

Take care and see you (and every one else reading this at the WOSonOS in
Krakow, here is the link to the details
> http://www.wosonos.com/

hugs
mmp