[OSList] "Building Self-Management Muscles"

Christine Whitney Sanchez via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sun Jul 26 08:29:20 PDT 2015

:-)  I couldn’t agree more about supervision.  Thanks for the Mahesh quote.

Namasté,

Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez, M.C.
Phoenix, AZ, USA • +1.480.759.0262
www.innovationpartners.com <http://www.innovationpartners.com/>
www.christinewhitneysanchez.com <http://www.christinewhitneysanchez.com/>

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ChristineWhitneySanchez> | LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/christinewhitneysanchez> | Twitter  <https://twitter.com/CWhitneySanchez>

On Jul 24, 2015, at 7:16 AM, Harrison <hhowen at verizon.net> wrote:

Christine, I did have to chuckle. You said: “....some teams with supervisors, depending on their level of development according to some collectively created criteria.” I couldn’t help but wonder. “Who’s development?” Would that be the “teams” or the “supervisors”

Some years ago, one V.S. Mahesh – VP for Human Resources at the  Taj Hotel Group, a part of the TATA family of businesses... with literally 1000’s of employees in all sorts of groups. For the record, Taj Hotels are known worldwide for superb service, even today, and I believe a large part of that is due to Mahesh. Anyhow, in an off comment, he said to me, “You know Harrison, all teams, work groups, call them what you may... are essentially self managed. Even under ideal circumstances something like 99.99% of client interactions take place outside of any possible supervision. That being the case, a “good” supervisor is one who enables people to work effectively in their “normal” situation – without any supervision.”

Might it be that self management is the norm, albeit the conventional wisdom clearly has a different opinion...

Harrison

Winter Address
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854