[OSList] VOSonOS Proceedings Document

Artur Silva via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Jul 22 11:09:07 PDT 2015

Hello all
First Iwould like to thank Michael Herman for organizing this event (called “improperly”VOSonOS) and to be so kind to inform me/invite me to my main address at Gmail(as he assumed, correctly, that I had not seen the previous announcement on theOSLIST).

Havingparticipated in the event, I was very positively impressed. As the majority ofthe people in this list have not been present they could not feel the same thatmany of us felt. And probably they will not feel attracted to read the proceedings(that anyhow does not convey the “climate”). So I have decided to give here my opinionof the event. As a base for that I have used my words at the closing, with somemodifications.

This postis preliminary to other things that I will propose for discussion in thefollowing days, as I have already proposed during the event, namely the role ofOSI’s and if “courses” are a good way to someone learn OST – or not. This ismore urgent after a mail from Harold that I will comment later.

1) I wasvery impressed by the energy that this “computer mediated” Open Space on OpenSpace created within the people that joined - real people, having realconversations (and not “virtual” ones…), and generally with almost the samequality and intimacy as in a good face to face OST event. This was pioneering workof quality. Thanks to Michael, Lucas and all that made this event possible. Ihope the next event of this kind will not be called “virtual” – “online” (OOSonOS) is a good compromise!

2) Beingone of the (small number of) people that had problems with the platform (whichI think that can be fixed soon), I was very impressed not only by the quick andfriendly help that Lucas always gave me, but specially by the possibilities ofqiqochat.

3) Ithink the future of collaborative longdistance communication for groups must alwayshave the possibilities that qiqochat has (and not only some of them), namely: video (seeing the others - which isVERY important for the intimacy during the event and for non-native Englishspeakers too); micro (speaking and hearingthe others when one is also seeing them); writing(for notes and parallel communication). No one of the tools I have used before (andI have tried many different tools during these years) was even close to haveall of that!

4) As ithas been done in some – but not all – WOSonOS, I hope that the next one, inPoland, will create the best conditions to enable long distance participation(streaming of many sessions, space for breakout sessions with long distanceparticipants, or even conveners). I think that qiqochat can be a good solutionto support (part of) that.

Warmregards to all

Artur