[OSList] Zappos Being Zapped

Harrison via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Sat Jul 18 05:05:50 PDT 2015

Rosa said... “I do think it would be kinda fun for all of that self-organizing that is already happening anyway, to come up with some alternative structures to the regular old pyramids we see all over the place...a bit of color in the landscape, as it were...”

Rosa --There is a big secret. “All that self-organizing” is coming up with new structures every moment. “Structure” is actually an inaccurate way of talking about what is happening... more like patterns or flow of energy. “Flash framed” it does look like a structure, but that is really an illusion. An artifact of our perception. But it sort of works.

Anyhow, it seems to me that there is some 13.7 billion years worth of examples of just precisely what you are talking about. It is only very recently that we (Homo sapiens) tried doing our own thing. Lots of wonderful names (Process re-engineering, etc) but precious little positive impact that I can see. Yes I know sometimes it seems that these marvelous inventions of ours seem to work...and of course lots of people make lots of money maintaining the illusion. But in moments of honesty, usually over a drink, everybody who has been around, even for a little bit, is totally aware that nothing ever happened according to the plan, design, etc... When pushed for source, the usual answer (given very quietly) is “The Informal System,” which by definition nobody organized. And that drives Management to despair. In fact they try to kill “the informal system” at every opportunity.

Amazing, folks are busily containing, controlling, and destroying the one thing that enables organizations to function. Is that nuts? Seems to me that before we design anything new, it would be well to sit quietly and fully appreciate what is already there, and doing quite well. Thank you. And of course if we want a speeded up, concentrated experience of self organization in action, we know what to do. Works every time as long as we don’t try to organize it. Wonderful!

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, MD 20854