[OSList] Open Space for innovation with group of 8?

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Jan 8 12:48:01 PST 2015

Thomas -- I suspicion that not only is OS possible, but probably the only
way to provide sufficient latitude for innovation combined with the
essential focus to deliver something useful. And a group of 8-10 is
certainly possible. BUT why the limit if there is all that other talent?
That would be the 90 other folks who might just care to join in???

As you know the start up time for an Open Space is about 1 and 1/2 hours,
then with the exception of a short time in the am (morning news) and
something similar in the evening (Evening News) -- everything else just
spreads itself naturally over the time available.

So it is quite possible, indeed I have done it on multiple occasions, to
basically make the whole company Open Space for the period. True, you do
have to have an large meeting at the beginning -- but from there on out
everybody sets their own schedule and thusly can integrate it with whatever
else they need to do (client business, etc).

I have done this in hospitals, power companies, and phone companies where
you can't shut the whole thing down but it is possible to find a time when
most people can get together for a short period. This usually turns out to
be a the change of shifts times -- and one shift stays an hour longer, and
the other comes in an hour earlier -- and presto... you have two hours
together, which is more than sufficient to get the ball rolling.

There are some complications, but people do work it out, as they always seem
to do. And usually the whole place is just buzzing with a level of
excitement that is rarely if ever seen on a "normal" business day. Fun!

Harrison

Winter Address
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854
301-365-2093

Summer Address
189 Beaucaire Ave.
Camden, ME 04843
207-763-3261

Websites
 www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com
OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
OSLIST Go
to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org