[OSList] What's Open Space got to do with Group Relations?

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Dec 10 14:19:12 PST 2015

Dear Dan,

reading through the "items", I see nothing I specifically associate with
open space.

--- Nothing is 100%
--- all  os events I have seen are highly structured
--- All kinds of things are potentially triggering
--- Everything is about leadership and authority and other stuff
--- I dont know what an exercise in self-organisation is, sounds like an
oxymoron to me since everything is self-organizing

etc.

Thinking of the force of selforganisation (totally free even though it
might be intoxicating) as a unique characteristic of os events would
also be strange since the force acts everywhere... but intentionally
seeing to it that the prerequisites for the less hampered unfolding of
the force are in place I would suggest is a unique characteristic.
Especially when it is done without being attached to any outcome (that
attachment is just another variance of control and thats poison to the
froce)... so not aiming to achieve stuff like high performance, fun,
participation, action, etc might also be a characteristic. And certainly
a crazy idea for most folks having to invest time and money and etc. for
something not being aiming at a certain outcome. Aiming at expanding
time and space for the force of selforganisation to fully do its thing
might create heaven knows what... how would you explain that to the
Dean, the boss, the Board of Directors, the shareholders, the press....

mulling over this it becomes clear again: just go ahead and open space...

Greetings from Berlin where we will have our extraordinary holiday
Stammtisch on Thursday, Dec 17, starting at 7pm at our regular hang out
> http://www.kreuzberger-weltlaterne.de/

I just sent out the invitation and folks are responding... so if you
happen to be in town, drop in, os pure and basic, no topic, no
facilitator, no proceedings... and be prepared to be surprised!

ciao
mmp