[OSList] Open Space wherever, however, whenever, with whomever as often as you can

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Dec 10 12:28:26 PST 2015

Dan – Can’t really disagree with a lot of what you are saying – Trump has clearly found a resonant chord, articulating many thoughts and feelings that should have been exposed to some fresh air and open discussion – even if very unpleasant. And Open Space has proved itself useful and effective in situations of exceeding complexity and conflict. Israelis and Palestinians, Rabbis and Imams, Labor and Management, National Governments and revolutionary forces, Indigenous Peoples and Bureaucrats.... just to name a few. And of course Trump would be welcome, along with everybody else who cares. But in all honesty I can’t really imagine The Donald showing up. Could be wrong of course, and I’ve never met the gentlemen personally and face to face. However, if his press is any indication, I can’t help but feel that he would find real open space absolutely terrifying. The Big Lie (250,000 mad Muslims cheering wildly in Jersey City, etc) doesn’t do very well when a truly diverse group has the opportunity to check things out. And demagogic behavior typically wilts in the face of the law of two feet. Of course is it always possible to maintain attendance with a few AK47s at the door (“Rough people up”) but that does tend to close the space.

Comparisons may be odious, but sometimes inescapable, at least for me. As I watch the peregrinations of The Donald, I can’t help but  recall a certain Adolph Schicklgruber. Perhaps better known as Adolph Hitler. There is no question that Hitler expressed deeply felt hurts and frustrations of the German people. The Armistice Terms of World War I, although apparently justified in the eyes of the Allies, cut deeply into the economic and social fabric of Germany. Hitler played on that pain with exquisite demagogic skill. He invented (I think) The Big Lie. He converted the perceived humiliations of the past into the spirit of pride and righteous indignation (exceptionalism?).  He elevated the Fear of The Other into a fine (albeit demonic) art form for the purposes of social organization and control. We all know the results.

The presence of Hitler on the world stage was clearly destructive. However – 70 years after the fall of the Third Reich – and given all of the tumultuous and exciting happenings in the interim – Adolph Schicklgruber seems to me something of a momentary blip, a sad demented character... more of a sign or symptom of the ongoing transformative process of humanity than a fundamental cause. I am pretty sure that the day will come when The Donald will be viewed in similar terms: A symptom of the ongoing transformation.

Immediately after the Paris events I posted a note to the effect that this is a transformative moment. That may seem to be a blatant statement of the obvious, but for many people, transformation has become a synonym  for change (all the “best” organizations are now transforming) or only a wuwu experience. Hardly earth shattering. Classically, I believe, Transformation is understood to be made of sterner stuff. The traditional Christian version goes Life, Death, and Resurrection. Other traditions use different words, but come out at a similar place. Transformation is serious, and inevitably painful business.

The contemporary version goes Steady State, Chaos, New Order (New and higher levels of complexity). The brand name varies, but Complexity Theory, Chaos Theory, Emergence, Self Organization are common ones. We are learning more about this phenomenon all the time, but it does seem that the more we learn the clearer it becomes that we can’t even think at that level of complex, fast moving interconnectivity. We joke about The Butterfly Effect – but it’s no joke. The Butterflies rule. And if we are honest, I believe we will have to admit that neither we, nor anybody else, has a clue what’s actually happening, where we might be heading, and how we could actually resolve the multiple issues, known and unknown, that humanity confronts. The Donald to the contrary.

Under the circumstances, now might be an exceptionally good time to get off the planet, cash in our chips, and hope for a better day. Indeed that would appear to be the logical, perhaps only alternative. Except....for a very curious fact. Given all of the terrible things that did happen, might have happened, should have happened, could have happened during our stay on this planet, it is totally amazing that we are still here to complain how bad things have gotten. Somehow we’ve muddled through – as the Brits would say. Might happen again.

If it has occurred to you, as you have read along, that the process of Transformation and the process of Self Organization are in fact one and the same, that could be wishful thinking, or it might just be true. Personally, I vote for the latter. A wild and wooly grasping at wispy straws.... or it could just provide a needed clue to what we might be doing in the midst of all the ambient chaos.

If we are actually in a transformative moment it would be equally true that we are engaged in the process of self organization yet one more time. Once again, humanity is shattering through the accustomed life forms, social norms, cultural patterns with all the attendant pain, disorientation and confusion – to say nothing of chaos and conflict. It is all natural. It all comes with the territory. And we are definitely not in charge. Whatever plan there might be has not been revealed to us, and for sure it is not our plan. One thing, however, does seem to be clear. Wherever we are going, we won’t get there unless we all work together.

Drafting that plan of work would be a tall order. One might say impossible. But I think there is reasonable evidence that we really don’t have to. Both Transformation and Self Organization happen without our intervention or design....I do believe. But we can help ourselves through it all. How? You guessed it. Open Space wherever, however, whenever, with whomever – as often as you can. We may make it. We may not. But it will surely be exciting.

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, MD 20854