[OSList] Euro-Agile Folk & OST-Experiments

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Aug 17 14:34:10 PDT 2015

Dear Tricia,

in my experience as os-facilitator most of the stuff happens behind the
stage.
On stage, its been productive to do as little as necessary so that those
participating can do their stuff quickly and on their own without being
distracted by intro-exercises, ice breakers, warm ups, lengthy
introductions or explanations, etc. None of that is  needed if I know
that its something completely different that is active: highly motivated
participants, already empowered and equipped to get down to what they
are passionate about.
To support me in being effective in that framework its grand to have
someone I call the assistant.
This is an arrangement for a certain situation for a certain period...
meaning that up front there is a facilitator for this situation and for
a certain period... this facilitator could be the assistant in a
different situation for a certain period and vice versa.
Both of the two, facilitator and assistant, need to be able to
completely fill the bill of the two positions but in a specific
situation they are either or.
In addition to facilitator and assistant there is, according to the
size, length and complexity of the event an extended team. In any
specific situation, the assistant assists the facilitator and the team
assists the assistant. This is a temporary structure with clear roles
over time. In other situations with other requirements the roles and
tasks change.
During a specific event there is a specific design regarding feedback
around the ongoing work to keep the specific structure and the actors in
the structure attuned AND to use the specific situation that everyone is
involved in as a platform for LEARNING and improving our practice. I
find that there is no better setting for this than in the ongoing practice.
The leading question during the feedback/learning/development phase is
"How is it going?".

This approach has always worked in my practice. It has also supported
everyone in the event (sponsor, other participants, all team members and
the technical support around facility management, catering,
documentation, etc.) to hold the space... without specifically being
congnisant of this function.  And it has been a perfect training ground
and drawn hundreds of colleagues into this work.

I am pretty sure that there are zillions of ways for
managing/structuring/processing/etc. the facilitation of an open space
event. Its situational and can be honed by continuously asking "why do
we do it this way?"

In other words there is no prescription on the details that insure
expanding time and  space for the forces of selforganisation to do their
stuff. What does help, is to have, every now and then or better yet,
continuously, situations where I can engage with other os-workers in an
exchange on the nuts and bolts of our craft. These can be all kinds of
situations. I especially like Stammtische, structured exchanges,  local
and regional and worldwide OSonOS... so come and join the WOSonOS in
Krakow.
If the Creeks dont rise I will be there.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp