[OSList] Campus Europae Higher Education Open Space

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Aug 17 06:44:20 PDT 2015

Greeting to All,

I like this thread. It is is very stimulating.

Regarding magic:
-Arthur C Clarke
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws

Regarding reductionism:
Reductionism does have it's purpose...
...it is useful when attempting to reduce what appears to be "magic" to
"science."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductionism

I notice that Open Space appears to display many characteristics of magic.

Magic appears to have 2 basic meanings: (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic)

  * Magic (paranormal)
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_%28paranormal%29>, the use of
    paranormal methods to manipulate natural forces
  * Magic (illusion)
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_%28illusion%29>, the art of
    appearing to perform supernatural feats

Reductionism is responsible for exponential growth in knowledge during
the 20th century and beyond.

I often ruminate on the observed values of our group here. It's clear
that magic is more highly-valued than science. Said another way, tacit
knowledge is valued more highly than explicit knowledge...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacit_knowledge

If it were otherwise, then by now we are busy reducing things, using
precise language to describe these reduced things, etc.

For example, consider any attempt here, to describe any part of any
proposed definition, of ...Open Space.

Regarding attraction and repulsion:

/"On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion des
idées." -Victor Hugo/
Translation-literal: "One resists the invasion of armies; one does not
resist the invasion of ideas."
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Victor_Hugo

Alternative translations and paraphrased variants:

  * *One cannot resist an idea whose time has come.*
  * No one can resist an idea whose time has come.
  * *Nothing is stronger than an idea whose time has come.*
  * Armies cannot stop an idea whose time has come.
  * No army can stop an idea whose time has come.
  * Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come.
  * There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and
    that is an idea whose time has come.

Daniel

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.