[OSList] is OS apropriate to fill a structure

Koos de Heer via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Aug 7 03:34:07 PDT 2015

Dear Hege,

Filling the complete agenda beforehand is not something I would do in Open
Space. I do allow people to prepare topics beforehand if they want to, but
then these conveners have to put their topic on the marketplace with all the
others. For me, the power of Open Space is in the present, in the now. The
passion of the people at that moment is what drives it. That moment when the
invitation is out and people come forward to write their topic on a piece of
paper is a very special moment, where the passion of NOW becomes tangible. A
pre-filled agenda does not fit in with that.

An interesting question of course is why they want to do it that way. If
only politicians can fill the agenda, then (at least in my book) only the
politicians can be participants. If they want the people of the community to
be participants, then everybody gets the opportunity to fill the agenda
together. If I understand yout mail correctly, they want the community to
participate but only the politicians to create the agenda. There must be a
reason for that. Finding out that reason is important, because then you
might be able to show them that they are trying to take a long route to
their goal and that there may be a much better, more direct route.

Good luck

Koos