[OSList] OST: Public vs Private events: apples and oranges?

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Apr 27 15:47:49 PDT 2015

On 4/26/15 2:53 PM, Michael Herman wrote:
> it seems to me that the questions that might be raised a neighborhood
> or professional conference can be every bit as complex, the people
> every bit as diverse, and the passion just as high as in any
> organization where folks are getting paid to show up.
yes and I suspect (strongly) that all things being equal, the
private/org OST events have more of the preconditions in place, more
often, than public events, especially with respect to Agile conferences,
where I have some direct experience.
> the think organizations might be better at is manufacturing a sense of
> urgency.  perhaps they do that by constricting flow with deadlines and
> other constraints.
yes and so?

> coming from the other direction, it might be said that in more
> diffused settings, like communities and conferences, having the focus
> and bounding that an invitation and circle and meeting date provide
> are as beneficial as the opening in an organization.
yes, and all other things being equal, once again, i think this is
unlikely in my view. the cohesion and intrigue and history of
relationships and cultural stories by and between the members is likely
to much richer inside organizations, since the people have closer
proximity, higher frequency of interactions, over longer period of time
etc. just saying

> this leaves aside the messiness of trying to decide where private
> becomes public.  what about when companies open space with clients.
>  what is it when the mayor of harrisonburg or the city of aspen or the
> school board in peoria convenes the gathering(s)?
yes and i did directly address this exceptionin the original post.
communities and communities of practice being the obvious hybrid/grey
area. that said, once again all other things being equal, i currently
believe the private event is richer.

consider the public event where unconference and barcamp are often used
instead of OST. why? perhaps because cohesion & commitment is lower in
public vs private events...all other things being equal once again that
is....

> i guess i don't understand why it matters to determine if opening
> space is more or less effective in organization or professional
> conference.  and i'm not sure we can even know, even if it did matter.
yes and it does matter. it matters a lot. it matters when we try to
develop more precise language to describe what we are talking about when
we discuss OST.

> in 2002, i facilitated only just a slice, one track, of the agile/xp
> conference, for instance.  it was messy, for sure.  my briefing was
> from the podium in front of a ballroom theater of 300 seated, having
> just heard three hours of keynotes.  the wall and posters and all the
> trimmings were around the corner and down the hall in another room
> that nobody'd seen yet.  the actual posting of topics didn't happen
> until after they went to lunch and some of them came over to the room
> i'd prepared.
>
> it seemed to work and not.  it was a little weird for me and yet there
> was much of the familiar energy and self-organizing.  that said, i was
> quite surprised, EIGHT years later, one of the agile alliance board
> members told me he thought that it had been hugely successful and with
> important results that were continuing.
yes, and novelty is a wonderful thing. right? i wonder how much novelty
was produced that day, and how many people (what percentage of
them....70? 80? 95?) were introduced to open space that day, thus
generating said novelty

> that's an unscientific sample and it wasn't the only contributing
> factor, but that we did it did seem to matter, and contribute
> something to the connection between agile and open space.
yes and the agile community has done little in terms of
disciplined/methodical/scientific experimenting, studying, generating
case studies and documenting the results of creatively using OST in
agile adoptions. as it stands, very little evidence has been generated
that might indicate frequent use of OST to facilitate the pain of
process-change in an agile context. rather we continue to use OST in
mere public-Agile-conference events. this is now changing and more rapidly.

> IF we all agreed that there was something very different about public
> and private os meetings, WHAT would that accomplish or imply?
> what would we do differently?  what difference would it make in our
> practicing?
We might consider the distinctions to a) advance the state of the art,
b) develop more know-how in both situations, and c) maybe just maybe get
better at bringing development and transformation to organizations,
especially in an agile-process-change context, and especially in large,
slow-to-change organizations that represent the largest challenges to
success with rapid and lasting development and transformation. that is
my odd fascination, and my intent in raising the issue generally.

> would we stop facilitating conferences or community events?  probably
> not, i think.  would we open differently in organizations and
> communities?  well, i think we already probably open a bit differently
> in every different place we go.  it's always starts with whatever
> people are there in a new place where we're invited to work.  i'm not
> sure where this can lead us.
yes, and that is a great starting point, is it not? close to ideal
perhaps...

> wondering, daniel, is this an exploration of uncharted territory or
> are you laying the groundwork for a larger story.  IF what you say is
> absolutely true, where do we go?  can we go there even if the answer
> is "maybe?"
yea and in general, there is an allergy around the use of precise
language. the vague language with fewer terms and words and words with
multiple meanings can be the cause of many sorrows for those trying to
learn this stuff. consider the newb on OSLIST how it trying to grok this
stuff. How does vague language that does not make distinctions between
this and that context serve that new student? as it stands, there is no
agreed-upon definition for OST, because OST is a spirit that defies
definition. and even when it does not, there are plenty of people that
are happy to to the defying. the five preconditions for good OST provide
a starting point for discussion. what you are really asking is "what is
your intent Daniel?" and the intent is to advance the work.

Daniel

--

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.