[OSList] Authority in Open Space - "All Open Space"

paul levy via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Oct 16 15:29:07 PDT 2014

Of course ! It's the wonderful irony of "all" statements.

Paul

On 16 Oct 2014, at 22:43, Daniel Mezick via OSList <

 Including this one?

On 10/16/14 2:15 PM, paul levy via OSList wrote:

I'd just venture to add a third to Harrison's first two...

  1) All Systems are Open. 2) All Systems are self organizing.

 And 3. All "all statements" are possibly self-limiting

 Best regards

 Paul Levy

On Thursday, 16 October 2014, Harrison Owen via OSList <

> [...]
> works has been a matter of stunning discovery over the past 40 years or so.
> I doubt we have it all right, but I do think we may have the major elements
> of understanding in place. The outline goes something like this – a) Steady
> State b) Chaos c) A bifurcation to either dissipation (poof) or
> reconstitution at new and higher levels of order. Of course you have to
> fill in a lot of the blanks, and there is a massive literature attempting
> to do just that. But I do believe we have enough to get started with some
> basic observations. It really is a Whole System affair, in which all
> elements must work together, and no element has an *a priori* claim to
> centrality. In a business this could mean that the dumb question of an
> intern could just open the doors for the future. You just don’t know. But
> you do know that an organization’s future directly relates to its capacity
> to bring total system assets to bear on emergent challenges and
> opportunities quickly and effectively. It is always tempting to  try and
> “hedge the bet” with some plan, policy or procedure, but it worthwhile
> noting that the tighter (more constraining) the plan, the greater the
> likelihood of failure. It’s not that the plan was bad... but unfortunately
> the challenge or opportunity came from a different direction, and all our
> eggs were in one basket – the wrong one.
>

> So we have a very existential question – How do we assure sufficient room
> (dare I say Space?) so that the infinite elements of any organization may
> quickly and effectively align to meet new challenges and opportunities –
> recognizing in advance that we can never know what will be required?
>

> Open Space Technology is just a bit player in all of this, but good old
> OST can be useful none the less both as a natural laboratory to explore
> what is going on, and also as an effective intervention to encourage the
> appearance of the elemental power of self organization, particularly when
> it seems blocked and constrained.  There are no guarantees of course, and
> it may well be that The Organization’s time is now: Game Over. But the
> chances of renewal are pretty good, at least that has been my experience.
> And no matter what, the magic sauce is not OST – but the power of self
> organization. So you could say, just as a way of speaking, “It’s all Open
> Space.” But that’s just a joke, son.
>

> Harrison
>

> Winter Address
>
> 7808 River Falls Drive
>
> Potomac, MD 20854
>
> 301-365-2093
>

> Summer Address
>
> 189 Beaucaire Ave. <x-apple-data-detectors://4>
>
> Camden, ME 04843
>
> 207-763-3261
>

> Websites
>
> www.openspaceworld.com <http://%20www.openspaceworld.com>
>
> www.ho-image.com
>
> OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives

To subscribe or manage your subscription click
below:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org