[OSList] Private vs Public OST Differences?

Michael Herman via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Oct 16 06:29:41 PDT 2014

some years ago i facilitated the first illinois food security summit, a
public meeting of very diverse group of about 200, convened by a big
foundation.  at the end of the event, one of the common reflections heard
throughout the space was something like, "i can't believe we didn't know
each other already (given that we're all doing such similar work/have
similar interests)."  the following year, the two things i heard over and
over again were something like "i still have last year's proceedings
sitting on the corner of my desk" and "we're all still talking."  i think
we have to be careful not to impose internal standards for "action" on more
distributed public meeting/working.  having the proceedings (and its
priorities and plans) at their fingertips and having so many connections
still active was definite progress and was informing all kinds of activity.
 there just wasn't a "center" working to score that and own it like there
would be inside of an organization.  which makes me wonder if the work in
public spaces is not so much about building infrastructure, which people
can easily build for themselves and also already exists in many ways, but
rather finding ways to point out over and over again through the event that
the work of participants does not end with the closing.

also, to the challenge of public invitations, we wrote 37 drafts of 6
different editions of the invitation to what we called "the giving
conference."  the big challenge was that there was very little language
shared among the several very different groups/communities of people we
wanted to invite.  in the end, people said, "the crazy thing is that i'm
here, because the invitation really didn't say ANYTHING, but when i read
it, i knew i had to be here."

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
312-280-7838 (mobile)

http://MichaelHerman.com
http://OpenSpaceWorld.org

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 3:07 AM, John Baxter via OSList <