[OSList] Swarmwise; how to organise community like a Wave Riding Pirate

Lucas Cioffi via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Oct 16 06:07:58 PDT 2014

Hello Thomas,

"Consensus by veto" means anything that is not vetoed is treated as
consensus.  The occupy movement made decisions this way.  People could give
several hand signals to indicate their sentiment when someone else was
talking without having to talk over them.  Here's a list on Wikipedia of Occupy
movement's and signals
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_movement_hand_signals>.

You'll see a hand signal for "hard block" which means the listener is
hearing something morally objectionable (i.e. they are vetoing it).  By
defining consensus as "Not morally objectionable" (i.e. not vetoed) the
Occupy Movement was able to approve more member actions/initiatives than if
they went with "universally agreed upon" as their definition of consensus,
because their members were eclectic and unlikely to agree 100% on
everything.

I witnessed that OccupyDC's Facilitation Committee would change the
operational definition of consensus as the months went by so that even 1 or
2 vetoes were still seen as consensus when they wanted to have fewer
roadblocks from their own members.  So the veto number is variable as a
facilitation technique.
--
Lucas Cioffi
Co-Founder, QiqoChat.com <http://qiqochat.com/>

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Thomas Perret via OSList <