[OSList] Private vs Public OST Differences?

John Baxter via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Thu Oct 16 01:04:22 PDT 2014

"Follow through" is a big area (and a big interest of mine!).

Sometimes it seems like "they should do something about that!", and nobody
really cares to do anything... but they would like to see someone do
something... just not enough to do it themselves.  In which case, 'nothing'
is a perfectly valid response!

Public 'engagement' type events are often framed at seeking answers or
contributions.  They really aren't about making anything happen, but about
answering a question... and often the answer has very little real
implication, because as interesting as it is, nobody needs it answered in
order to do anything.

I don't really understand why people are so interested in such things, but
I suppose people like to feel like their voice is being heard.  Which I
guess is a good thing, but feel it can also be dangerous, in that it
characterises the participants as passive.  (Reinforcing the "you have
ideas, we make things happen" myth <http://sydney2030.com.au>)

I think 'design elements' like this can be real barriers for people taking
responsibility.

It is not always enough to say that people will take action if they care.
You can only be told "no" so many times before giving up.

I think also the opposite response is totally counter productive... to try
to pin tasks and working groups and projects on people... to force
(inspire?) people into action.  So many event methodologies are designed
specifically to herd people into putting their hand up to something... and
they look great to clients, because it looks like things are happening!
But really, nobody is leading, and nobody really cares, so nothing ever
really overcomes the inevitable hurdles and lasts the distance it needs
to.  People follow-up on their commitment to participate (which has been
elicited), with the minimal effort possible... but nobody follows through
on delivering the ostensible result that has been committed to.

I've struggled with people expecting SMART answers in a spreadsheet when
they ask "so what even happened?"  They don't want to hear a story about
how people's lives have been changed... that doesn't fit their bill.  I've
come to terms with never being able to satisfy these people.  (*David Smith
- your example souns like a horror story!*)

Unfortunately, often participants themselves feel an emptiness without a
mechanism that not only makes progress visible, but that "brands" progress
in line with a clear causal relationship.

hmmmm

*John Baxter*
*​Co​Create Adelaide Facilitator, Director of Realise consultancy*
CoCreateADL.com​ <http://cocreateadl.com/localgov%E2%80%8B> |
jsbaxter.com.au <http://www.jsbaxter.com.au/>
0405 447 829
​ | ​
@jsbaxter_ <http://twitter.com/jsbaxter_>

*City Grill— An Election Forum More Magnificent Than Any Ever Seen
<http://citygrill.eventbrite.com.au>!, Saturday 18 October 2014Connect with
your candidates, get your voice heard by joining with others in your
community, and Influence the future of the city*

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM, via OSList <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org