[OSList] Authority Distribution in Open Space

Harrison Owen via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Oct 15 09:47:53 PDT 2014

Dan – Your Sponsor Properties are intriguing. My first-take response would be, Sure. All are useful. And the same could be said for having any party. After all, who would want to go to a party when there is nowhere to go, nothing to consume (resources), and the party itself is contrary to all regulations? End of report. Full stop!

But is it? If so a whole mess of teenagers, Gen-X’s, what have you, would be very surprised. My experience aligns with theirs. When there’s a will (desire/care), there’s almost inevitably a way. Somehow the space clears, the consumables manifest, and who cares about the regulations. A fellow parent once said in jest that the fastest way to insure a massive neighborhood teen blowout was 1) Restrict all likely participants to their bedrooms. 2) Remove any and all possible “consumables,” and 3) Issue a proclamation that the Party Can’t Happen. That’s not a joke son. But of course such behavior could never happen in a well managed, bureaucratic organization. Right?

Maybe. But my organizational experience suggests a rather different conclusion. I spent some 10 years in the (US) Federal Health Care establishment, mostly the NIH (National Institutes of Health), which most folks at the time (1970-1980) would describe as hugely bureaucratic and generally well managed. I can’t give you a totally accurate account, but I venture to guess that something like 50% of all the “program initiatives” I was involved with occurred without “official” sponsorship, with little to no resources, and no time or space allocated going in. In one situation where we were working to spell out something called “Competence Based Re-licensure” for physicians – which was about as popular as a skunk at a garden party – we worked together for  better than a year, involved a broad base of experts (including the past Director of NIH), and produced a product which is still having influence today. At the conclusion of our efforts, the Director of NIH came to me and asked what the budget had been. My response: “I don’t know sir. We never found one.”

Doubtless that is just the aberrant behavior of HH Owen. But if so, that marvelous creative source of innovation, The Skunk Works, could never have happened. I think Tom Peters named the critter, but anybody involved with the creation of new products and who honestly describes how they happened, will recognize the beast. The poster child, of course is the “Post-it” from 3M. If you listen to the voice of 3M today, you might think that the new product arose from a careful plan, richly resourced, and fully blessed by the corporate powers that be. Nothing could be further from the truth. Post-its was actually the product of a small motley crew, with virtually no resources, except those they could “borrow,” often operating in secret to avoid corporate censure.

But what does all this have to do with Open Space? Nothing, I guess. And everything, I do believe. Obviously Open Space as a formal entity (sit in circle...) had nothing to do with any of the above. It didn’t exist. On the other hand if we understand OST simply to be an intentional invitation to maximize the ongoing process of Self Organization – the basics are already in place and fully operational, as has been the case for 13.7 billion years. I have found it very worthwhile to consider the operation of naturally occurring “Open Space” as a guide to our own efforts with OST. And there is a lot to consider, but in the area of “sponsorship” it would seem that what Dan has suggested may well be true, but is by no means the whole story. In a word, there is a lot more than meets the eye. I think.

Harrison

Winter Address

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, MD 20854