[OSList] Open Space for a group of 6??

Therese Fitzpatrick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Oct 6 19:00:42 PDT 2014

I once facilitated an OS for a board of six people. I opened the space,
then the marketplace. And everyone post topics in the marketplace. then the
group decided they'd have sessions on all the topics proposed and the whole
group would participate in all the sessions. I occasionally reminded people
of the law of two feet, to keep the space open but the group was happy
working through each topic together. I think they were accustomed to being
a great, collaborative team and they stayed a great collaborative team
during that strategic planning OS event.

The group seemed very pleased with the results, felt energized and eagerly
ready to undertake the new action plans made during the OS.

I felt anxious throughout that I wasn't doing anything but, then again, I
was doing something:  I don't read enough about the real work of
facilitation which is inner energy work. I was holding space for the group
and my energy is great and powerful.  Good facilitators are energy shamans,
imho.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Michael M Pannwitz via OSList <

> Dear Kari,
>
> actually, pretty regularly, much of that which sponsors and the planning
> group envisioned actually did happen in and after the os-events I
> facilitated.
> (This becomes evident in meetings of planning groups after os-events when
> they look at the mind-map they produced in the first planning session
> before the os event to the questions: What is different the Day after the
> Event? What has changed? What is taking place in my workplace/neighborhood/organisations
> on the day after the event? Which perspectives have opened?...)
>
> Also pretty regularly, there were big (and small) surprises of the kind
> that have been reported in this string (closing stuff down, creating a new
> approach, etc.).
>
> Whatever it is that happens in an os-event has shown me (and I assume
> participants and sponsor-participants see it, too) that there is infinetly
> more possible to manifest itself than I am able to imagine. In fact,
> regardless of what I (and perhaps everybody else in the event) expect or
> envision of the gathering to come up with seems of no interest to those
> processes that act in an os-event.
>
> Sometimes I get the impression that my (and perhaps our) goals, visions,
> aspirations, hopes... are just another kind of control in respect what we
> want to occur. This seems to be just another way of looking at "not
> attached to outcome". Usually, this is a prescription for myself in my role
> as facilitator. Extending it to everyone in an os-gathering might free up
> more of the selforganisationforce.
>
> Greetings from Berlin
> mmp
>
> On 06.10.2014 16:36, Kári Gunnarsson via OSList wrote:
>
>> I love the stories with few people in Open Space. With one or even with
>> none, but still a lot of successes. The act of the invitation and the
>> provision of space are remarkable and have productive outcome without
>> relation to the actual turnout. But be warned, the actual outcome is not
>> always within our or ours sponsors prediction, but we have learned that
>> the produce is good.
>>
>> /Kári
>>

>> On 6 October 2014 14:22, Peggy Holman via OSList
>> <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org <mailto:oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     I once ran a two day Open Space with the 5-member board of a
>>     nonprofit. They got together in every possible configuration over
>>     those two days. Pairs, trios, solo, whole group.
>>
>>     It wasn't as dramatic as Gerard's story. We knew going in we'd just
>>     have five.
>>
>>     As with any good Open Space, there was passion for the subject.  It
>>     was an incredibly productive meeting setting the course for the
>>     organization.
>>

>>     Peggy
>>     Sent from my iPad
>>
>>     425-746-6274 <tel:425-746-6274>
>>     www.peggyholman.com <http://www.peggyholman.com>

> [...]

Love rays,
Tree Fitzpatrick

© Please note I retain the copyright to all my emails. You need my prior
written consent to share anything I write in emails. Just because it's easy
to forward emails, does not mean you can when the writer copyrights her
words. Please respect this.

. . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with Augustine,
"I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for
such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation.  -- Hannah Arendt