[OSList] Second Life

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Oct 1 13:25:26 PDT 2014

Kári,

The Radical Inclusion folks worked on developing an Open Space in Second
Life back in 2009, and used Open Space in Second Life as part of a 150
person online event June 5, 2010. Holger Nauheimer, Julianne Neumann,
and others.

I'm looking through my old emails to look for tracks and trails. I
didn't participate in their online unconference, only a small part of
which was open space, and their NING site seems to have been
decommissioned. The few meetings we held back in 2009, I do remember
that the prospect of Open Space in Second Life looked like it would be
largely consumed with training the participants in the use of Second
Life. At least my own enthusiasm fizzled. There is a website for the
exploratory meetings - http://osinsl.pbworks.com - but you have to
request access and it doesn't have that much content.

I think there's a lot of promise in what Ben Roberts is talking about
with Maestro Conference. They've been working on their Social Webinar
for years now and it's great it's finally working.

I'm also thinking the MIT open source project mentioned a few weeks ago
on the OSList has great potential for a low cost (or free if you can get
the hosting and setup) online open space with video.
https://unhangout.media.mit.edu/how-to-unhangout/.

A simple phone interface, or a familiar (like Google Hangout) platform
would be much better than Second Life. Maybe in the future the training
overhead won't be needed for a virtual world - thus the great value of a
phone interface like Maestro. Everyone knows the phone.

     Cheers,
     Harold