[OSList] Summer research project idea: 'self organisation'

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Nov 28 04:20:04 PST 2014

There are many well-established words that are used to more precisely
discuss self "organization" in the biological and social sciences. I
wonder if actively using some of these well-defined words might be
helpful in the discussion.

Example: stigmergy
https://www.google.com/search?q=define+stigmergy
*Stigmergy* is a mechanism of indirect coordination between agents or
actions. The principle is that the trace left in the environment by an
action stimulates the performance of a next action, by the same or a
different agent.

More details
http://www.evolutionofcomputing.org/Multicellular/Stigmergy.html
http://www.evolutionofcomputing.org/Multicellular/StigmergyAndSelf.html
http://www.evolutionofcomputing.org/Multicellular/FourPrinciples.html
http://www.evolutionofcomputing.org/Multicellular/IntertwinedPrinciples.html

Daniel

On 11/26/14 8:25 PM, John Baxter via OSList wrote:
> Hello facilitators of self organisation
>
> Let's take a moment to consider self organisation, as 'field' or
> 'practice'.
>
> I am scoping a summer project at the moment (in the southern hemisphere!).
>
> I have been reading and learning all I can about self org.  There is
> less than I expected at the heart of self org practice, but much more
> than I realised in intersecting fields (e.g. in governance, democracy,
> community organising, management, change, systems...).  There are also
> unanswered Qs about what 'self org' /is/ (indeed, if it is anything at
> all).
>
> It might be worthwhile formalising this, through a focused research
> project, and sharing the results in a report or the like.
>
> Possible focus questions that come to mind for me are
> - what does someone need to know to say "I do self organisation"?
> - what would someone need to know to be an 'expert' in self org?
>
> Would appreciate your perspective, as a
> practitioner-facilitator-fellow wave rider:
>
> What (if anything) do you think deserves to be done?
> Who should be involved in doing it?
>
> Thank you for contributing to the quest!
>
> */John Baxter/*
> /Cocreation Consultant & CoCreate Adelaide Facilitator/
> jsbaxter.com.au <http://www.jsbaxter.com.au/> | CoCreateADL.com
> <http://CoCreateADL.com>
> 0405 447 829
> |
> @jsbaxter_ <http://twitter.com/jsbaxter_>
>
> /Thank you to everyone who came, helped or spread the good word about
> *City Grill
> !*/
> /Summary and links: cocreateadl.com/localgov/grill-summary/
> <http://cocreateadl.com/localgov/grill-summary/>/

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.

(203) 915 7248 (cell)