[OSList] Open Space for my own team

Michael M Pannwitz via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Nov 19 08:35:16 PST 2014

Dear Agnieszka,

for decades I have practiced the exchange of "rain checks" (kupon,
Gutschein, كوبون, buono, купон,..) exactly for situations as the one you
describe.

If someone wants me to be a facilitator for a situation they cant afford
to pay a fee for I ask them to pay me with a rain check. This means that
I can draw on them in case I need a facilitator, so we exchange services
without money flowing.

This, of course, also works for baby sitting, haircuts, back rubs, a
translation, an editing job... you name it.

We also suggested this procedures to participants of trainings: Convene
an Open Space in your business / team / neighborhood / school / NGO /etc
and "hire" another participant from the training to be the
facilitator... keep doing this for a while and you will be surprised
about the kind of contracts some of us need (those with fees to buy
groceries, send the kids to college, etc.).

If you offer not just the facilitation of the "event" but also ask the
colleague to facilitate the prework (planning session) and the action
planning and the Next Meeting, the whole enchilada, the colleague will
get a chance to have a grand experience... and then you in return.

The other aspect you mention has already been discussed a bit by others
on the list. My experience is that I cant really be totally present and
utterly invisible for the facilitator role if I also have urgent issues
and I find it impossible for me to dive into issues full throtle having
my facilitation role in the back of my mind. So, I avoid it.

My longest experience in one and the same organisation has been my 10
year stint in the German Agency Youth where I facilitated some 30 events
in that decade. One of the regular events was the yearly retreat of
everyone working in the office (about 35 people). After a while folks
felt that they could run "internal" events in os by themselves. I
supported their idea adding that I wanted to be part of the experiment
in the role of visiting colleague giving them a feed back. As far as I
could tell, it did go well. The two colleagues who did the facilitating
and also had issues and the group as a whole processed this experience
and decided not to repeat it.

In another organisation I used to be a member of, the berlin open space
cooperative (boscop), we switched from one of us being the facilitator
to all of us having a "silent" introduction. After setting up the venue
together (chairs, signs, bulletin board, breakout spaces....)we gathered
in the circle and starting moving into the open space everyone having
the (silent) facilitation role... after 8 to 12 minutes folks started to
announce and post issues. We had a standard agenda (times and
activities) and it all went smoothly... after closure we had a feed back
which resulted in a steady flow of adjustments.
In this case the members of boscop all were experienced os-workers and
had experienced each other in the various roles typical for an os-event.
So, the starting point was unique.

Greetings from Berlin and wishing you a productive open space in
Szczecin and see you next year at the September WOSonOS in Poland
mmp