[OSList] Is Open Space a meeting?

Harold Shinsato via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Tue Nov 18 13:58:51 PST 2014

Hi Daniel,

I think we can count Open Space as a "meeting" by both definitions 1.
and 2. in your dictionary listing. But it doesn't fit well to me in the
poetic sense. I prefer conference or gathering. Or even better, it is
something that stands alone and apart, as its own sort of thing. So
instead of saying "we're going to the open space meeting", we just say
"we're going to the open space."

In general, my sense of a "meeting" is something where we all meet in
the same place at the same time and talk about the same things, *mostly*
one at a time.

     Harold

On 11/18/14 5:29 AM, Daniel Mezick via OSList wrote:
> I have a simple question: Is Open Space a meeting?
>
> For purposes of discussion, let's use this definition of /meeting/:
>
> meet·ing
> ˈmēdiNG/
> noun
> noun: meeting; plural noun: meetings
>
>     1.
> *an assembly of people, especially the members of a society or
> commit**t**ee*/, for discussion or entertainment./
> /    "the early-dismissal policy will be discussed at our next meeting"/
> /    synonyms: gathering, assembly, conference, congregation,
> convention, summit, forum, convocation, conclave, council, rally,
> caucus; More/
> /    power lunch, power breakfast;/
> /    informal get-together/
> /    "he stood up to address the meeting"/
> /        a gathering of people, especially Quakers, for worship./
> /    2./
> /*a coming together of two or more people, by chance or arrangement.*/
> /    "he intrigued her on their first meeting"/
> /    synonyms: consultation, audience, interview More/
>

> Is Open Space a meeting?
>

> Daniel
>

> --
>
> Daniel Mezick, President