[OSList] Open Space by the book?

Daniel Mezick via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Mon Nov 17 14:54:06 PST 2014

Greeting Harrison, paul, John, Chris,

I strongly agree that asking "why about how" is usually not very useful.

http://newtechusa.net/agile/start-with-how/

That said, I see a pattern here I first noticed in the Agile community
several years ago. People who reach the mastery level dispensed guidance
that made perfect sense-- to other experts. Yet that same advice just
wasn't readily digestible by the many "late-majority" newbies who were
flooding in... and seeking some very basic guidance.

For example, quite a few years ago the idea of "not doing estimates at
all for software projects" began to be advocated by certain well-known
Agile experts. While that concept is certainly well-grounded in reality
and appropriate for very mature organizations, it did cause some
less-knowledgeable people to stumble... as they struggled to understand
exactly what these experts were actually talking about.

The 1 Law and the 5 Principles do provide a very useful and accessible
template... one that makes it easy for anyone with a "good head and a
good heart" to jump in...and facilitate some open space with little or
no experience.

What's actually wrong with that?

Are we actually experiencing the end of the early-majority phase with
Open Space?

Is the late-majority stage just getting underway?

If so, a great many "late-majority" newbies will be here shortly.

Daniel

Daniel Mezick, President

New Technology Solutions Inc.

(203) 915 7248 (cell)