[OSList] Open Space by the book?

John Baxter via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Fri Nov 14 23:09:27 PST 2014

Nice reflection Harrison.

You've unfortunately created too many loose ends to inspire a neat reply.
So here is a messy one.

Regards the simplest recipe for Open Space, to what degree have the Law and
N Principles (and the animals) been critically tested?  To be honest, these
have never really resonated for me and I've always used a different
variation each time searching for something that feels right (and no longer
than it needs to be).

I think it's a long bow to describe Open Space as mainstream, or anywhere
near it.  It has spread to all corners of the globe perhaps, but it is
still the System A alternative, islands within a System B world.  I would
hazard 90% of those who have been to conferences and meetings and like
gatherings have not heard of it... (speaking at a conference on cocreation
and placemaking recently, I requested a hands-up and had a whole TWO of
hundreds confess to acquaintance)
and even if 90% had, I'm sure less than 1% of the gatherings they attend
are consciously designed to unlock self organisation.

What you describe of the permutations of the practice matches what I see
(though I'm too new to know differently), but I can't see how this could be
because of a tipping point as the practice is mainstreamed.

Maybe that's just where I participate.

Regards the permutations and combinations... bring them on!  This thread
could quickly follow all sorts of rabbit holes on this one, so I might save
those thoughts for another day.

Cheers

*John Baxter*
*Cocreation Consultant & ​Co​Create Adelaide Facilitator*
jsbaxter.com.au <http://www.jsbaxter.com.au/> | CoCreateADL.com
0405 447 829
​ | ​
@jsbaxter_ <http://twitter.com/jsbaxter_>

*Thank you to everyone who came, helped or spread the good word about City
Grill!*
*Summary and links: cocreateadl.com/localgov/grill-summary/
<http://cocreateadl.com/localgov/grill-summary/>*

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 5:37 AM, paul levy via OSList <