[OSList] rest of the world catching up with Open Space...

Artur Silva via OSList oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
Wed Nov 5 10:50:36 PST 2014

Hi Rosa:

Thanks for your kind
comments.

Some minor points. I
don't want to know anything (more) about post-modernism, but I do know
something (I think) about "social-constructivism" and "social
construction of knowledge" and you are right - Mannheim is not normally
included in the references, neither the US, or in continental Europe (I don't
know about the UK). But he is included in many studies on "sociology of
knowledge" (but in this domain, I think that Khun is the main reference),
and in some cases also in pedagogic works.

In what concerns Mary
Parker Follett, that I personally like very much, you are also right. She was
still sometimes referred some 20-30 years ago when talking about the
"Human Relations Theory of Management" (as a precursor), but today
she is rarely mentioned even in that domain.

If you have decided to
do a PhD, go for it! But after you have presented your thesis, came back to me
as I would like to know your opinion about the real value of a PhD...  And
I will give some opinions of my own...

Regards

Artur

PS; a quotation from Mary
Parker Follett that could be written by an Open Spacer: “A large
organization is a collection of local communities. Individual and institutional
growth are maximized when those communities are self-governing to the maximum
extent possible.” (Mary Parker Follett, 1924)