[OSList] My first OS as a facilitator

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri Mar 21 13:21:59 PDT 2014

Stefano - If Milano can talk to Roma, good things might happen!

I was going to add in my previous note that while it is certainly possible
for the CEO to facilitate an Open Space as you propose, that would not be my
first choice for several reasons. First - no matter what you say you will
STILL be the Boss (or whatever) - which makes it harder to believe that it
really is Open Space, and that you are not setting the agenda. As you
probably know by now, it is virtually impossible to "control" an Open Space.
Certainly you can shut it down, but you and everybody else will be out of
control, simply because everybody is "in control." You know that, but your
people don't, at least for their first Open Space. So I would not put
unneeded barriers in the way, even if they will be cast aside. The second
reason that doing it yourself is problematical is that as facilitator, you
really need to keep your hands out of things (present and invisible, so to
speak). But then everybody loses, assuming that you have some value to add.
Which I am sure you do.

So do yourself and everybody else a favor. Invite my good friend Gerardo
(Milano) to do the honors. And if he can't, there are many other good folks,
all speaking Italian. If he/they can take care of the space, you can have
the marvelous fun of playing in it with all your comrades. At least that is
what I would do.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: