[OSList] control?

David Osborne dosborne at change-fusion.com
Mon Jun 23 22:00:33 PDT 2014

Michael....

My experience of human systems is that control is often exerted and it's
actually rare that it isn't. Exerting control is very different to me than
bing in control. While those exerting control may have a high degree of
influence in the system but they are not in complete control. External
forces are one source of influence that are often beyond control
and....choice is always present for individuals although the perceived cost
may be high. I'd suggest the cost to the soul of staying in the system are
high too.

David

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Michael Wood <michael.wood at uwa.edu.au>
wrote:

> In OST work we may find ourselves declaring that ‘no one is in control’.
>  I think that’s probably largely true in my own experience. I rarely feel
> like I’m in control of anything, and certainly not of anyone else.
> Realising this has been very liberating.
>

> And yet what are the full implications of this statement?  I’m supporting
> people in a large hierarchically structured organisation where a lot of
> staff feel very disempowered. In effect,  they feel ‘controlled’. How?
> Fairly simple things like if they resist the punishing demands being placed
> on them (do more with less), then their contracts will not be renewed. Or
> we might take a more dramatic example of places where people find their
> liberty curtailed at the end of a gun. They may also feel like they are
> being ‘controlled’.
>

> At one level these are people are ‘free’ to resist but at the likely cost
> of their job, or their life.
>

> So when we say ‘no-one is in control’, is the corollary of this statement
> that ‘we all have freedom and exercising that freedom might be very
> painful’?
>

> Michael Wood
>
> Perth, Western Australia

David Osborne