[OSList] movies that illustrate self organisation

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Thu Jul 24 03:42:34 PDT 2014

Hi Chris,

Thanks for mentioning M*A*S*H. It's an acronym that stands for Mobile
Army Surgical Hospital. It represented indeed an "agile" military
medical unit because it was mobile and had to adapt to emergent
situations, and frequently had to break from procedure to save lives.
Great example!

For another popular culture movie - try watching the new Lego Movie. I
had not been attracted to it because it sounded like a product placement
movie. But on hearing a high praise for it from someone at a conference,
it's actually perhaps the best movie about business ever! I'd love to
talk about this more on the OS Hotline or with others that have seen it
already as to what it reflects in a possible shift in our culture.

If you want to be fully surprised by the movie - please read no further.

!!!!! S P O I L E R ***** A L E R T !!!!!!!

The Lego Movie is a wonderful mythical story about a regular man, a
construction worker, who is anything but special and in fact delights in
all the vapid controlled media promoted by the authorities very
transparently in control of his world, and even loves his job singing
"Everything is Awesome, Everything's a Dream if you're part of a Team"
as he goes about destroying older neighborhoods to make way for new
construction. He's a Lego toy, like all the characters are and all the
sets. But quickly he becomes tagged as a fulfillment of prophecy to
resist the evil KRAGLE which "Lord Business", the main heavy, plans to
deploy to "destroy the world". But destroying the world is actually
freezing it, as KRAGLE you soon learn is in fact Krazy Glue. The main
hero has many supports along the way - but eventually you learn (and
this is the big spoiler) that the whole lego world was created by a
father. The father's son, a young boy, has been building inside his
dad's very complex series of lego worlds, but the boy interferes with
his father's vision and the father wants to Krazy Glue it all down to
prevent it from being changed. The movie is full of laughter, poignant
criticism of popular culture, and even our emerging police state that is
attempting to control the growing unrest (and anomalies). I'm not even
going to try to list everything delightful and relevant to
self-organizing in the film in this email. But I do recommend it!

     Regards,
     Harold

--
Harold Shinsato