[OSList] Management and Organization

agusj agusjs2002 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 20:24:36 PDT 2014

Hello Harrison, David S and David O,

I find the thread of this conversation very interesting and inspiring. In my opinion, the success of using OS to transform businesses in self-organizing organizations depends of the way you do it. It is very different to use OS as a means to experience a different way of organization than using OS as a means to allow organizations to have an experience of themselves from a context of self-organization.

An option of the first approach is to use OS as an isolated practice in the "old system". This way maybe it can help to fix something, but it is very possible that it is not going to make a real difference, if the organization does not transfer in any way the underlying conditions of OS to its everyday environment.

An example of the second approach is to use OS as a Trojan horse, acting like a hacker. Under this scenario, the organization adopt OS as a common practice because its effectiveness to solve problems or to foster innovation, or whatever. This way, its continued use over time probably generates a new cultural context that facilitates the emergence of self-organization. It could take time, but the chance that self-organization put down roots is higher than with the first approach.

Agustin

PS - Recently I read a book that shows the cases of some organizations that are defying the "old system" very succesfully. The name of the book is Reinventing Organizations written  by Frederic Laloux.