[OSList] Open Space classrooms

Arno Baltin arno at tlu.ee
Thu Jan 30 02:32:38 PST 2014

Hi Tricia!

Fore some years I am using OS in different university courses at Tallinn
University, Institute of Psychology. One of my favourites is Time
management cours for BA students. It is 24 hours and 4 hours of that is in
form of OS. It is the second meeting usually, poarticipants amount on
average 50 students.
Why?
1. OST is the best Time Management philosophies -

   - *When it starts is the right time*
   - *When it's over, it's over*
   - *Whatever happens is the only thing that could've*

2. Nowadays students have rarely chance to speak with each other during the
study hours about things important to them. Most of the study rooms are
arranged in traditional way - one speaks rest are directed towards her/him.
Even devidig up into small groups is sometimes a challange. And students
really enjoy the format and are asking afterwords why is this only during
this particular course :)

3. They are solving they real time puzzles. Mostly they choos the question
of how to accomplish their studies during given timeschedule (Here we have
state supported higher education, but one has to be on schedule for that.
At the same time about half of the students ara working full time at the
same time, many have families ...).

How?

I am giving description of the method to read about in forehand. They
generate possible topics on on google form and have also the first choosing
between attempt with doodle. Still the final decision (lets say form 3 most
voted topics) will be made on the spot.

They will have 3 x 30 min discussion times wiht almost limitless spacespots
(taking into account their amount of course). Mostly 10 to 20 different
topics are proposed.

The protocols of small group discussions are put onto the webpage. And at
next meeting I present an summary of the topics basing on their given votes
(sticky dotpoints).

Hope, that will be of help.

Be well!

Arno