[OSList] From linkedin today

Pernilla Luttropp pluttropp at swipnet.se
Fri Jan 24 14:33:35 PST 2014

I so enjoy reading about your different perspectives on "self-organisation",
most of them makes perfect sense to me.

Still, when I have a room full of
men/white/adults/heterosexuals/professionals - pick the majority of your
choice - and one or maybe two single voices of
women/black/youngsters/homosexuals/amateurs, where the tool for contact is
spoken and written words, often well formulated on what is considered
"relevant" for the group, I feel uncomfortable.
That doesn't necessarily mean that I as the facilitator need to fix anything
and there is always the opportunity for the minority to leave the room. But
I still feel uncomfortable.  I've seen that "natural" behaviour in a group
many times; the majority either ignores the minority or makes a big thing
out of their "otherness". The minority don't get to be individuals, just
representatives. And the individuals in the majority group easily become an
unreflected "we", very comfortable in what is considered to be "normal". To
me that's another "natural-or-it's-been-around-forever" behaviour. And I'm
not comfortable when I see it being reproduced over and over again. When
someone from the minority brings this up with me, I usually remind them of
their two feet. But it makes me sad to see them leave the room. Something
else could have happened and I was there, both as a human fellow being and a
facilitator, feeling uncomfortable.

But feeling uncomfortable isn't necessarily bad, there's movement in that
feeling. And I'm not sure it has to be fixed. But I'd like to hear if anyone
else shares this feeling and your thoughts on it.

Pernilla
from Sweden