[OSList] Open Space videos

Lisa Heft - lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sat Jan 18 14:25:03 PST 2014

Adriana - I know you are thoughtful and ethical. It is both thoughtful and ethical to have an agreement about permission for the use of other peoples' faces and quotes before any face-to-face documentation. And good practice would say the same may be true for virtual conversations.

So in any dialogue / group setting I start by saying I am taking photos (for x use), others may as well, and if any participant does not want to be in these photos I respect both their choice and their responsibility to walk up to any of us taking photos to request they not be included. Same is true for anyone doing audio or video recording. I also say that in this electronic age, we can each have intention to only use (for example) a digital photo or video in a certain way, but people we know and do not know can often cut-and-paste from an original source and use it in ways that are not sourced (attributed / named) or used in original context. Just as an awareness. I look around the group and say 'may we all agree to x?' - and then we move on.

In a client situation, we always discuss this in advance - during the pre-work - as documentation is always part of whatever dialogue work I do, whatever the process. We have an agreement whether both print-electronic-whatever discussion documentation -and- visual imagery can be used by both parties and in what circumstances they can be used. For example I always get permission to have a final draft Book of Proceedings for my own archives, and then we also get into very specific wording (depends on the client) about whether I can use a printed version of their Book of Proceedings in a workshop / educational setting - or not. Whether I can use digital photos taken for documentation (by them or by me) on my website - or not - and usually they ask to see which ones in case there is someone in that photo they know has requested no photos.

It is all very manageable and easy but I think is very respectful to let people (or a hosting organization for a group event) know in advance how their words and likenesses may be used, and to ask for permission and give credit wherever possible. Even if you paid for the images.

So this can be handled very easily at a live event by either clarity with the client before the event that they speak on behalf of their organization (therefore no individual people's permission required) or as Dan says - registration - or a piece of paper they sign as they arrive - clearly saying that their signing (or registration) gives consent.

Adriana - perhaps they may give permission to use certain parts of what you recorded on your website - as one of my clients has done. Not the full body of documentation, but certain parts of it...

Lisa