[OSList] self-organization

Ann Galley anngalley at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 3 00:56:58 PST 2014

Well-said, Paul

Ann

On Friday, January 3, 2014 3:30:23 AM, paul levy <paul at cats3000.net> wrote:

HI Marie

I'm suggesting quite the opposite. Truth doesn't always elude us because we are both tiny and universal.

Open Space is a form of organisation. It is a minimally structured process that enables BOTH selves and the SELF to organise.

Self-organisation is the act of the self, organising. The self is microcosmic, realised in the emergent, incarnated individual self, and macrocosmic in the holism (whole-ism) of the universe. Diversity lies in between, different levels and qualities of consciousness.

As consciousness in our human selves has clearly been evolving, we've gone through various stages. Egoism has tended to both harden the self and lead to overstructure as those selves attempt to enclose and gain control over nature. Minimal structuring and organisation is an antidote to overstructure. Open Space Technology is such a minimal structure. And, oh yes, a structure it is. A beautiful, eloquent one.

Paul

On 2 January 2014 23:37, Marie Ann Östlund <marieann.ostlund at gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you Paul. I'm not sure how to respond or if I need to. :)

>Truth with always elude us since we're tiny. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to understand. And as you say: "Perhaps it's us self-organising so the self might know it" That's what I'm suggesting. Our experiences might help us towards some more coherence.
>
>Marie Ann
>

>On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM, paul levy <paul at cats3000.net> wrote:
>
>Of course, all of these wonderful statements about what self-organisation is, are organising statements !
>>

>>Open Space Technology itself, minimal as it is, is an organising process.
>>

>>I do enjoy lazy philosophy. It's part of our mysterious humanity. And making statements about self-organisation is like trying to bite your own teeth. You can't grasp this particular spiritual feather because you are the feather, the wind, the blowing and even the story of it.
>>

>>Though, perhaps the "self" in self-organisation really does refer to the human self.
>>

>>The eye is formed by the light, for the light. Perhaps it's us self-organising so the self might know it.
>>

>>Happy New Year
>>

>>Paul Levy
>>

>>On Monday, 30 December 2013, Daniel Mezick  wrote:
>>
>>Such a rich topic! Thanks to Marie Ann Östlund for opening this topic.
>>>
>>>I am compelled to add the following words (verbatim) from RIGHTS OF
    MAN, by Thomas Paine. The book is quite an interesting read for
    folks like us. It tends to confirm and join with all of Harrison's
    key points.

>>>My favorite quote in the book:
>>>"...society performs for itself almost everything that is ascribed
    to government."

>>>When he says [society] in the text, he means groups to people who
    are self-organizing, according to natural propensity.

> [...]
>>>"The more perfect civilisation is, the less occasion has it for government, because the more does it regulate its own affairs, and govern itself; but so contrary is the practice of old governments to the reason of the case, that the expenses of them increase in the proportion they ought to diminish. It is but few general laws that civilised life requires, and those of such common usefulness, that whether they are enforced by the forms of government or not, the effect will be nearly the same.If we consider what the principles are that first condense men into society, and what are the motives that regulate their mutual intercourse afterwards, we shall find, by the time we arrive at what is called government, that nearly the whole of the business is performed by the natural operation of the parts upon each other.
>>>"Man, with respect to all those matters, is more a creature of consistency than he is aware, or than governments would wish him to believe. All the great laws of society are laws of nature. Those of trade and commerce, whether with respect to the intercourse of individuals or of nations, are laws of mutual and reciprocal interest. They are followed and obeyed, because it is the interest of the parties so to do, and not on account of any formal laws their governments may impose or interpose.
>>>***
>>>

>>>On 12/30/13 11:10 AM, Harrison Owen wrote:
>>>
>>>Marie – I think you have it just right. But maybe you are making things a little too complicated, and working a bit too hard. In my simple mind, things look like this. First: All systems are self organizing, even those we think we organize. Second: Organizing a self organizing system is not only an oxymoron, but stupid – especially when the system can do a better job all by itself. Third: Whenever we try to organize a self-organizing system, we inevitably get it wrong. Our efforts are “clunky.” Even though it may look great on paper, our efforts are never subtle or flexible (agile) enough. Fourth: Open Space is simply an invitation to self organize. In other words it is simply an invitation to be and do what we are. The fact that it works as it does has nothing to do with our knowing any philosophy, principles, practices... It works as it has for 13.7 billion years, long before we arrived on the scene, all without our help and assistance.
 Fifth: the real value of OST is as a training program enabling us to experience consciously and intentionally what all too often passes by unnoticed – Life. It is also a marvelous laboratory in which we can learn more about our natural state. And oh yes – all the principles, philosophies, practices, etc are fun, interesting, and useful to the extent that they help us to understand with greater clarity what is really going on. But at the end of the day they really don’t change a thing. I think.

To post send emails to OSList at lists.openspacetech.org