[OSList] self-organization

Marie Ann Östlund marieann.ostlund at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 14:58:40 PST 2014

David, thank you for this. It's a helpful perspective.

I'm a slow thinker (not in Kahneman's sense - just slow) so will need to
meditate on this some more. If I understand you rightly, self-organization
is like a natural law (like gravity) but that it's also based on agents
making choices. That in turn create patterns. Self-organization under right
circumstances can produce powerful change, or emergent change (and I
understand this to be desirable or constructive change). OST creates
optimal circumstances for emergent change.

Can it not be that self-organization happens because we are fundamentally
constructive, helpful beings. The magic, or the natural law bit, is not
extrinsic (external) to us but instrinsic (natural or essential) to us, and
is what happens when we are in relation to someone else (or others) that
share a similar passion/belief/vision etc. Anyway, just thinking aloud.

Thank you.

Marie Ann