[OSList] Shipyard again

Hege Steinsland steinslandhege at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 01:36:26 PST 2014

Hello wise people.

I received some great advices from this list earlier when i first went into a shipyard with an Open Space meeting.
The meeting  came out great, with energy and lots of important conversations, but I`m not sure of the longterm outcome...

I`m now invited to do another Open Space in a situation when a ship is delayed, and they still need to keep the time and the costs.
At the same time there is a process in the hole shipbuilding group about a need for significant cut in costs, without compromising on good quality, in order to be competitive for the future. Some of the directors have start talking about a different approach to this than yelling from above about shorter breaks and so on. They want the workers to come up with the good solutions and have some ownership in this.

My question to all your experienced Open Space facilitators: Do you have examples of situations when Open Space has been used to cut costs, find new and more effective ways to do the business that was taken into reality and worked out?

( I´m thinking of HO`s Ted talk about the 15 000% increase in efficiency :-) Is this one, singular very special situation that we keep telling all the time, or are there more stories similar to this with, lets say 3 - 5 % cost reduction or increase in efficiency?

Excited!

All the best from

Hege Steinsland