[OSList] Self Organizing vs. Physics & Entropy... Who wins?

John Watkins johnw536 at mac.com
Tue Feb 11 21:45:14 PST 2014

Lucas,

This is a great question you raise!  It seems that our universe operates by several intriguing principles.  In general, it seems to be true that overall entropy increases (but I think the final conclusions on that one are still not available to us).  But the strange and really cool thing is, it does so by increasing order in some sub-systems.  So, the big bang happens, and if entropy were the total picture, we would never have had any matter at all.  All that energy would merely have dissipated into all that expanding space.  But something happened that caused the swirls of chaotic energy to begin to coalesce into sub atomic particles, then particles, then atoms, then molecules, then stars and eventually planets and life and us.  It seems that inherent in chaos is the emergence of patterns that result in orders, and orders then recursively develop themselves into complexity.  One of the coolest things is the way that established patterns become autopoietic, that is, they take in energy, sort the energy into that which helps them recreate themselves at a higher level of organization, and then they excrete the rest of the energy back into the broader system.  That is one definition of entropy, but the intriguing thing is that the excreted energy does not just go all random; it actually gets used in the emergence of other new orders.  So.  Classical thermodynamics does explain all this, but it does so without recourse to complexity theory.  Complexity theory helps us understand how new orders emerge from open systems in far from equilibrium states.  I take Open Space to be one of those sorts of far from equilibrium states settings for the emergence of new orders.

John