[OSList] Interdependence and Vulnerability: a delayed reframe re: Trust

Chris Kloth chris.kloth at got2change.com
Sun Feb 9 14:05:04 PST 2014

I have re-read the Trust thread several times. I noted the passion and
thoughtful reflections it triggered.

Like the rest of you, over the many years (decades) I have been engaged
in working with individuals, groups, organizations and communities the
issue of trust has certainly been raised as an explicit or implicit
source of concern when people are having difficulty getting something done.

At the risk of both sacrilege and hyperbole, I think trust is overrated,
or at least misunderstood. Here is an OST story I hope helps explain my
perspective.

About 20 years and several governors ago a statewide community mental
health system I was working with was deeply enmeshed in turmoil. There
were three major factions: rural agencies, urban agencies and the state
oversight agency. They were all actively engaged in lawsuits against one
another. Then the state legislature introduced a piece of legislation
that all three factions strongly opposed because of the negative
consequences for people suffering from mental illness. However, a series
of highly publicized individual tragedies (circumstances beyond their
control - control is always such an illusion) made it seem likely the
legislation would pass.

I was asked to help find a way for the three factions to work together
to defeat or amend the legislation. After considerable pre-work I
proposed OST as a way to proceed. A group of 6 people (2 from each
faction) worked for the better part of a day to craft a question to
convene a larger group to explore. The first half of the planning day
was fairly tense and colored by the mistrust they all brought into the
room. Crafting a question that would reflect their shared interests
required owning their distinct interests, which initially tended to
reinforce their mistrust of one another. By the end of the day they had
a question they all agreed was sufficiently compelling to attract a
significant cross-section of their world to gather, talk and listen.

What they did NOT have by the end of the day was trust of one another.
What they had determined was that they could not succeed in achieving
their shared outcome without one another. They were interdependent,
which also meant they were vulnerable. They had determined that I was
trustworthy, which I would suggest is short of trust. They were willing
to risk vulnerability, in part, because I had demonstrated fairness,
transparency, truthfulness and presence... enough to take a risk on the
process.

Approximately 100 people, a credible cross-section of people from all
over the state, gathered in open space to explore their question... to
figure out what, if anything, they were able and willing to do together.
They were the right people doing the right work. I was not surprised
they found ways to work together to address their shared concerns. What
did surprise me was that, in the process of addressing their common
threat they "inadvertently" discovered opportunities to begin to resolve
the lawsuits that had been pending for years. Of course, all these years
later I would not be surprised. I might even have expected it, though I
would not have suggested it as a possible outcome at the front end of
the process.

The question remains, did they trust each other during and after working
in Open Space? I would say they trusted each other and the process just
enough to risk vulnerability in this particular situation because they
knew they needed each other. They laid a foundation for building trust
over time. Over the next several years they experienced gains and
setbacks, largely due to larger social and political conditions beyond
their control. (Again, control is always such an illusion.)

However, despite the ebbs and flows in their level of trust, they were
able and willing to continue to risk vulnerability because they knew
they needed each other... they were authentically interdependent.

Thoughts?

--
Please note that my new e-mail address is chris.kloth at got2change.com. You may also contact me by using the Contact Page at www.got2change.com.

Shalom,

Chris Kloth
ChangeWorks of the Heartland
chris.kloth at got2change.com
www.got2change.com
phone - 614.239.1336
fax - 614.237.2347

Think Globally, Act Locally

Please think about the environment before printing this e-mail.